What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foggy Gopro

rstisser

I am having problems with my Gopro lense getting foggy after flying for over 30 minutes. I have the camera attached at the rear tiedown point. As I take pictures they start out nice and clear and then I notice the preview gets hard to see. When I land and inspect the case right at the lense is fogged up. I am using the sealed case with the piggy back battery attached. Gopro does not advise using the skeleton case over 100 mph but I am about ready to try it. Anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance. Randy

We found with ours that if you put some small desiccant bags in the case to reduce the moisture you wouldn't have that problem. You can just barely fit them under the camera as I recall.

Oil / Exhaust residue?

Are you sure it's moisture inside the case and not engine exhaust / oil residue being blown back on the outside? When I've mounted my camera on the tail spring, it usually ends up with a substantial amount of residue on the case.

We found with ours that if you put some small desiccant bags in the case to reduce the moisture you wouldn't have that problem. You can just barely fit them under the camera as I recall.
To clarify, the small desiccant bags I speak of are the very small ones that come in many products (such as vitamins) so you really can't beat the price. Instead of throwing them away just keep them for your camera.
My buddy even found that you can "rejuvenate" the little bags by sticking them in the microwave for a bit.

Are you taking the GoPro from a cooler environment and then using it in a warmer enviro? If so, in a sealed case the moisture generated from warming up has no where to go.

I have had oil/exhaust on the outside of the case, but this is definitely inside. Judging from the desiccant offered by the link to the Gopro website, I may not be alone. I am going to try the open back case and see what happens.

Put the case backing that has holes in it on. As long as it is not raining or the back of the case is not facing the wind it will allow moisture to be pulled away instead of building up.

Back