What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich propeller on RV3B w/160HP

fredbauerjr

Well Known Member
We have just completed a new RV3B and we are trying to "fine tune" the propeller to our aircraft as it is our desire to have a optimum cruise propeller.

At the present we are easily exceeding the 2600 RPM limit on the propeller and will be getting it re-pitched but we are wondering if anyone has a "good" guess as to how mutch additional pitch we should try?

We now have:
A brand new Sensenich 70" Diameter x 81" pitch propeller that is running 2600 RPM with 23" Manifold pressure @ 3000' MSL @ 51 Degrees F.

If anybody has experience with our engine/prop/airframe combination we would like a best guess at the additional pitch required to prevent overspeeding our propeller?

My understanding is the prop should be turning 2600 at 75% power, which equates to full throttle around 7500-8000 feet.

At that altitude, how does your sensenich prop do?

That's the way my prop is too. When I first bought the plane I thought the prop was under pitched because it would exceed the rpm limit in level flight down low. Later I realized at 8000' I could run WOT at 2700 rpm and about 75%. It works well like this, good climb and take-off with high cruse speed at altitude.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all of your prompt responses.

No, I have not been to 7500' to check on full throttle readings, we will be sure to do this on our next flight. Maybe my question about repitching the propeller was a little premature.

We are not an aerobatics kind of guy, just rolls and loops, so we do not have any concerns about that aspect of the propeller.

I will be sure to post all of our findings as we work through the debugging of our aircraft.

Thanks all,
Fred

Back