What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti splat Aero Gust Lock RV-10

Chippster1

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased the Anti Splat gust lock, and it seems to do it's job well, but I have a very serious concern--which is that in order to really get it to lock everything down, it appears to place considerable force on the rudder pedal assembly and control stick (possibly leading to eventual damage?). I spoke with Vic Syracuse ( who I consider an RV Guru), and he likes the product, and he says that as long as you are not really jamming that thing in there, it is safe to use. That did make me feel better about it, but I was wondering what anyone else out there might think.
BTW, I did a considerable amount of adjustment and experimentation with the bar length before wedging it, and found what seemed like a "Goldilocks" position(just right!). I also had to slightly modify the forks on a bench grinder to get them to properly seat on the rudder bar. However, when it comes to aviation safety, I tend to be a bit of a worry wort. Does anyone out there have any opinions on this?

Ted Chipps
RV-10 N498EC

Last edited:
antisplat aero gust

I used it last week and it went right in without the stress you mention. yes the rudder wires will be slightly tight, on purpose, so that nothing moves. I believe it is an excellent product, not sure why any modification was needed, mine fit as is. I agree with Vic, the gust lock is not putting stress on the controls, just making it firmly attached, and that is what you want. if you feel like you may be forcing it more than just the slight pressure to lock it, you may not be doing it correctly. the rudder "bar" modification may be part of the issue. if there was a need to adjust it it may not be connected as designed. there was also no need to do anything other than try one hole on red bar;realize it was too loose, move to next and it was all done.
it's a great product and safety wise it will do what it was designed to do-protect from hard gusts.

Back