What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aileron trim

dspender

Well Known Member
I have installed the optional aileron trim purchased from Van's. It attaches to the aileron pushrod in the left wing. The servo and assoc. bracket attach to the inspection plate. It appears to me, movement of the control stick in the cabin will encounter resistance from the tense springs that are attached to the aileron push rod and the servo attached to the inspection plate. What is the experience you have had with this? Does attachment of the aileron trim add noticeable resistance to movement of the control stick?

The stick lever arm is so much more than the spring tension you will not notice it. I don't use the aileron trim much but it is nice to have when I want it.

Carl

It's certainly not noticeable on the ground - I'm about to fly so can't comment on that.

I believe the mechanics of it are that you have 2 long, not very strong springs so that the difference in resistance vs length is not very much for small movements but it's enough to keep everything centred.

While having roll autopilot mitigates out of trim issues, it does not bring the airplane into roll trim when you turn off the autopilot.

The Van's aileron trim is simple and cheap. Even if you rarely use it, it is still worth installing.

Carl

Is it a big deal to install it on a flying airplane?

thanks

~Marc

It's doable but I can't qualify whether it's a big deal or not as I installed mine while the wings were off. The hardest part will be locating, drilling, and riveting the 2 trim spring brackets to the aileron push rod.

It's doable but I can't qualify whether it's a big deal or not as I installed mine while the wings were off. The hardest part will be locating, drilling, and riveting the 2 trim spring brackets to the aileron push rod.

It's not hard, but a whole lot easier in a wing stand as oppose to on your back with the wings mounted.

bob

I use mine all the time (well garmin does)

I have a heavy wing and my garmin autopilot always is using the aileron trim to account for it. Still working on figuring out my heavy wing issue, but glad I have the trim

John,

While aileron trim will treat the symptom of a heavy wing, it does not cure the root problem. For RVs, control surface rigging is simple in concept but can be hard in execution. Before you do anything you should check things line aileron to wing skin gap for consistency, wing tip fit, aileron or flap twist and such.

You welcome to drop into Dogwood (VA42) one day - perhaps an extra set of eyes would be helpful.

Carl
540-809-7708

I would not build without the trim. As Carl said Its easy to install and inexpensive. No it's not necessary but if you plan to fly IFR and do approaches and flying by hand and you have a heavy wing you will always tend to fly towards the heavy wing. I know this from experience. It makes a huge difference when the plane is trimmed properly and flying an approach by hand.

FWIW

Geoff

Agree with above posters on going with aileron trim. i use it every flight at least once or twice. Switching tanks every 30 minutes/5.3 gal helps too.

Aileron trim

Like Wayne, i use the aileron trim almost every flight. When I fly alone there is one wing initially heavy as the fuel burns off the plane starts to shift. When I fly with the family the plane has a different aileron setting. Glad to have as it makes for easier flying at times
Pascal

Back