What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch + GTN (650 vs 750)

MikeAg03

So planning to install a full Garmin system including G3X Touch in our 182 soon and we are currently going with the 10" w/ EIS only screen. We may consider at a future date adding a second 7" screen (or 10 if it later gets approved).
For now we are trying to weigh our options on the 650 vs 750. It's about $5200 more to get the 750 on fairly expensive install.
Who here has flown with both the 650 and 750 with a G3X setup? I know outside of displaying charts/plates, the 650 can do everything the 750 can. I feel the added screen and the ability to do things faster with it are reasons to consider the 750.

The charts and plates will be available on your G3X Touch screens via the flight plan that you setup in the GTN when you setup the GTN as the "external navigation" choice ... they work very well together.

I'm working towards my IFR and I find myself still using the GTN to handle holds and waypoints, display CDI, etc, but when it comes to the charts I go right to the G3X screens for the fast pinch and zoom and scrolling.

The extra screen real estate on the 750 is nice but I don't see how it's worth an additional $5200, but that's me :D

Likely wouldn't use the 750 for plates/charts... The extra screen space is nice for displaying weather, modifying the flight plan (flight plan or graphical methods), and just provides a few additional ways to do things faster I feel than the 650 would. Plus without having a second G3X screen provides a much larger additional screen... ie show maps on 750 and the approach plate on the G3X.

Assumed dual G3X screens .. Weather will be available on the G3X as well but I agree if you are only doing one G3X and no plans for another then I would go for the larger 750 for the same reasons ... or perhaps put the $5200 towards that second G3X or maybe a G5 as a backup to the G3X.

Upgrade will include a panel and the following (again for certified)
GMA345
G3X 10" w/ EIS
G5 Backup
GTN (650 or 750)
GTR225
GFC500 dual axis + trim
GTX345

Have you thought about a GNX 375? It's smaller and lighter than the 650 and incorporates the transponder, saving you further weight again.
If I would add anything to the mix, I would add an Aera 660. It talks to the G3X via bluetooth, and is like having another G3X display, but with battery backup and at a fraction of the price. It just sits in an airgizmo mount.
Having backup batteries in the devices simplifies wiring, saves weight (no separate backup battery) but still allows you to fly on a limited panel should you have a major electrical fault that takes out your entire electrical system. That said, I have a GAD27 to keep my power alive on start, but you may not have this luxury with certified.
Tom.
21egzl.jpg

Last edited:
We considered the 375, but feel the GTN is worth the premium. We want to have two COM radios and one NAV radio as well, so the GTN + 225 works out well.
We will have a GAD27 since we'll have EIS and it's a 14V plane. Unfortunately, we can only utilize the startup power filtering feature of it and nothing else (as of now).
I'm more interested in inputs from those who have flown specifically with both a 650 and 750 coupled with the G3X system... If we were getting two G3X screens, I would be more tempted to go with the 650... but with just the single G3X, the 750 seems like a worthy upgrade.

I agree with the others that think the 750 is not worth the extra dollars. I chose to use a 650/G5/dual G3xx. Does your plan have any secondary ADAHRS?

So the G5 provides a secondary ADHARS to the G3X which will be used if the G3X ADHARS fails and also used to sanity check the G3X ADHARS.
If we were installing two G3X screens, I might agree the 750 would be less valuable... but at this time we're planning only a single 10" G3X screen.

The GTN 650 and the GTX touch is a great set up. The 650 now has a full key board display so it’s easy to type in your waypoints. You will use the 650 as your FMS. All flight plans, approaches, etc are programmed in and operated via the 650 as your external nav. The touch does allow you to transfer/update flight plans from your IPad, (I have Garmin Pilot) via blue tooth, to the 650. The touch will have all the charts, plates, etc.

So planning to install a full Garmin system including G3X Touch in our 182 soon and we are currently going with the 10" w/ EIS only screen. We may consider at a future date adding a second 7" screen (or 10 if it later gets approved).
For now we are trying to weigh our options on the 650 vs 750. It's about $5200 more to get the 750 on fairly expensive install.
Who here has flown with both the 650 and 750 with a G3X setup? I know outside of displaying charts/plates, the 650 can do everything the 750 can. I feel the added screen and the ability to do things faster with it are reasons to consider the 750.

I decided to pay the premuim for the 750, and I?m glad I did. It is mounted in a center stack moved about 5? to the left of normal(for RV 7/9) so is very pilot centric, and the larger screen serves as a ?supplemental MFD? for the single 10?G3X Touch straight ahead. Overall cost about the same as a GTN650 with two G3X 10 inch screens, but lighter and more compact, leaving room for an iPad 11? pro on a ram mount on the right side. - Otis
2v2E7w7YWxBELK5.jpg

Back