VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM

Default RV-14 Engine choice

I was at fun in the sun and was talking with someone from Ameritech Industries and he indicates that there is a 215 HP engine that will fit in the RV-14. It was cheaper and could run on Mogas. He is supposed to send me the details on the engine at some point.

I don't know much about engines, so I thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts on the topic.

Ken
Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 PM

See the other post today (IO390 RV-14 pricing)
Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmanreef View Post
?.......was talking with someone from Ameritech Industries......
Ken
I'll go out a limb here and guess that person would be Bob H. Great guy and **** get you a nice price proposal with options. Two thumbs up for Ameritech. Bob was also the guy who gave VAF a pretty sweet deal on WW200RV props and governors.

I think he goes by: Eagle Bob on here
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 PM

The Superior XP 400 makes 205 HP on auto gas. If you get the high compression version it is 215, but Avgas only.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM

Thumbs up My RV 14 dream engine!

IMHO for most of us the biggest expense we all face every time we go fly is the cost of fuel. On average at 11 GPH depending on where you live in the USA we are looking at approx $66 an hour in fuel. So if your average flight time is 1.5 hrs that's $100 every time you go to the airport. So with a great new kit like the RV14 which incorperates new modern techology in the build process I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of modern technology in the lycoming 390. I want stuff like electronic ignition, auto spark plugs, & most of all the ability to run Mogas. There are other engine manufactures that are moving in this direction. With serial numbers at 54 and going up they will want a peice of the action. I think by the time we are ready to buy our engines theses things will be available. If it weights the same, produces the same horse power, bolts up to the same motor mount, fits under the Vans supplied cowl, and meets the criteria above then thats the engine I want. It would be great if Lycoming offered these things but if not then others like Ameritech Industrie or Superior will pick up the slack. We will look hard at these engines when the time comes.
1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Jetguy@att.net
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014
Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM

I could not agree with you more! Very disappointed with the engine choice. $7 AVGAS is around the corner.....the FAA is broke....time for the engine manufactures to step up and put out a Mogas (10% ethanol) engine in the 180 - 200 HP range.

Last edited by Yank : 08-03-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
... So with a great new kit like the RV14 which incorperates new modern techology in the build process I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of modern technology in the lycoming 390. I want stuff like electronic ignition, auto spark plugs, & most of all the ability to run Mogas...
So, put electronic ignition, auto plugs, lower compression pistons in the 390. None of those things are difficult to do.

Heck, depending on the compression ratio, you might not even have to change the pistons.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Default ECI Titan iox-370

I was wondering if the titan iox-370 from ECI through Ameritech would be a good choice. I talked to a Lycoming rep a few days ago and he told me the experimental 390 was about $40.5k.

Granted, this sheet is about a year old, but the iox-370 is about $28k:

http://www.ameritech-aviation.com/EC...Pricesheet.pdf
Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM

"good choice" is rather subjective.

Any engine near the HP of the recommended IO-390 can work fine to fly the airplane, but if it is not of similar weight it can add many complications (far more than just ballasting the airplane to get the C.G. correct).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Default ECI 370 Stroker

Eci offers a great way to buy their motors directly, the specs are on this link.
I personally stay away from mogas unless it is 100 percent ethanol free, the bother of transportation is not worth the savings.

http://www.eci.aero/pdf/370TitanEngine-M379.pdf
ICAS Pilot
GRT HXr Glass
TITAN POWERED IO-370
Hartzell's advanced composite propeller