- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM

Default Just Googling . . . .

Is that a word . . well has anyone checked out /www.aaronssixlobescrews.com ? There are apparently high strength torx, 100 deg available down to #6, but not 4-40. I will call tomorrow. Please post if this is a dead end.

Update: I called the number and the answering machine greeting was not professional, i checked the Better Business Bureau link and they have a long list of complaints, several unresolved. For humor, they apparently rent TV's and furniture (not that there is anything wrong with that). I will scratch this source from potential list. GO SPRUCE !!

W&B done
Doing paperwork.
Beginning G3X calibrations.

Last edited by BillL : 05-01-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: updated information
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 PM

Default i use torx from

Microfasteners everywhere i remove screws frequently. W ish GACH could source steel 100 deg. torxs screws... Not striped one yet...
Southern Nevada EAA Chapter 1300 - www.eaa1300.org

Paid VAF 03/17
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Is that a word . . well has anyone checked out /www.aaronssixlobescrews.com ? There are apparently high strength torx, 100 deg available down to #6, but not 4-40. I will call tomorrow. Please post if this is a dead end.

Update: I called the number and the answering machine greeting was not professional, i checked the Better Business Bureau link and they have a long list of complaints, several unresolved. For humor, they apparently rent TV's and furniture (not that there is anything wrong with that). I will scratch this source from potential list. GO SPRUCE !!
Looked up 8/32 screws and at 3/8" long they are $3.51/each.....!

For what it's worth, I really like Tom's catalog and web site - it's just the search function that is so difficult to use. Everything is there, just can't find it.....
Still looking for some good 8/32 torx.

Last edited by flyingriki : 05-01-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Take time to read Post 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazitl View Post
Microfasteners everywhere i remove screws frequently. W ish GACH could source steel 100 deg. torxs screws... Not striped one yet...
I am investgating this topic

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=50
www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/site_tips.asp

28th Anniversary of GAHco March, 2012
Thanks for being part of our success
Dues Paid November 2012
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM

I'm curious why so many have problems with philips type of screws for their aircraft. I've got the regular AN cadmium plated steel ones as well as SS ones on my plane. In 10+ years and as many annuals, I've maybe replaced a couple dozen of them. Get a decent driver (with replaceable bits) and you really won't have many damaged. As has been discussed several times in the past, the torx type of screws have a much thinner cross section between the conical exterior and the lobed drive socket. This is why they are not the best for use in structural parts, like attaching fuel tanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich weaver View Post
Rob,
With all due respect, the website upgrade has already been suggested and acknowledged by the owner. How about we leave that subject alone and let him deal with it as he sees fit?
Point taken, i've deleted my post. I didn't see the owner's acknowledgement of the issue, and the last time I checked (5 months after first mentioning it) the issue was still present.

Last edited by Snowflake : 05-02-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPeterson View Post
I'm curious why so many have problems with philips type of screws for their aircraft. ... This is why [torx] are not the best for use in structural parts, like attaching fuel tanks.
The issue isn't as much with structural parts like fuel tanks, that are installed/removed only rarely in an airplane's lifetime. The issue is with the hundred screws that hold the fairings, seat pans, control channel covers, baggage panels, inspection panels, etc. that get removed and replaced at least once a year at annual time. The design of the phillips head guarantees that the driver will cam out over time, and eventually that will lead to the screwdriver slipping and leaving a nice line across your paint.

Torx sockets are parallel sided and resist camming out by design. Why the phillips head wasn't designed that way as well continues to surprise me. That there have been a dozen or more different designs for newfangled phillips bits that all claim to prevent camming out and stripped heads suggests to me that the problem is more than just in our minds.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Could be worse... could be slotted screws, which if I were King would be illegal to manufacture, own, or use.
SB Fuselage Just Past QB Stage

Construction Log
Picasa: Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHco View Post
Most of us want a safe, reliable and reasonably priced fasteners.

And yes we will be investigating the Torx "registered trademark" or similar type of drive for the higher alloy fasteners. It is the design and alloy that makes these so rugged and functional.

I myself have used very little of the screws that came with my kit.

Found this thread and i know its old, but didnt find the discussed torx on your site. Did you decide against stocking torx cads?
N251Y (res)
Dec2016
Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post

Aarons is a combiner and shipper for twenty or thirty little fastener suppliers in the SC aviation heart land. I get Torx screws from them and they eventually arrive and have always been what I ordered. Customer service is non existent and always specify USPS Priority mail or they will send them UPS 3 day which can be expensive. If you don't order at least 100 of any one part number you will get screwed. Also the coatings affect the cost. With SS, black and waxed is a good choice. They do have 4-40 100 degree Torx screws.

IMO Torx are the only way to go if multiple future removals is anticipated. A quality Torx driver bit is also essential, Snap On sells them on line for four bucks a piece.