Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Ditto what Bob said. Those torx heads are fabulous. Have never stripped one and regularly replace phillips. They are stainless but then I'm not on aluminum.....

Mike Melville tried them out for a long time and finally declared them great so I tried and will eventually change over all. Wish they made 10s in different lengths.....

And the suggestion to use compound on your driver works really well too! On new screws and/or new nutplates a little Boelube on the threads and the grinding goo on the screwdriver works very well.
Good luck.

Last edited by RVadmirer : 09-23-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM

I have used SS Torx screws with 100 degree countersink from microfasteners.com and have been very happy with them. However, back when I was building, I remember reading on this forum, or on Matronics, that Van's had told someone that the SS Torx screws were fine except in structural areas. I had planned to use the Torx for my fuel tanks to wing fasteners, but changed them back to AN after reading this. The reason had to do with SS strength versus the AN. If I remember correctly, the SS will snap when they reach their load limit, where the AN screws and bolts will bend before they break. Based on that, I use them for fairings, inspection panels, etc.
VAF Paid 1/1/2017

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Default I found torx stripped too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
Microfasteners.com has 100deg torx: http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...Category=FCMXS

button head:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...bCategory=SBXS

I love 'em...they don't strip and they can be torqued tighter than phillips screws. I completely avoid phillips head screws if I can.
Bob, I had a disappointing experience with #6 & #8 ss torx screws from this vendor. I bought some about 4 yrs ago and they seemed to strip the head easier than AN Phillips heads. Maybe I got a soft batch, but I went back to AN.
Paid 12/2014
Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM

Do not torque them too high. If the philips insert area gets marginal in any way...toss it. I get rid of multiple hardware whenever I remove the seat area panels.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 AM

Default wobble head

Talking about phillips head screws, a friend of mine turned me on to a Snap On bit that allows for about a 15-20 degree offset while still being square to the screw. Great for those tight ones next to an immovable part where you either skin your knuckles or strip the head Try one, but you'll have to ask your tool supplier to find em in the catalog. about $7.00 each.
Ron
RV-4
N8ZD
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
Microfasteners.com has 100deg torx: http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...Category=FCMXS

button head:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...bCategory=SBXS

I love 'em...they don't strip and they can be torqued tighter than phillips screws. I completely avoid phillips head screws if I can.

Ok, so I just ordered a couple hundred. Everything is going "6-lobe." Have you found a decent driver tip for them or are they less prone to needing a special tip?

I stripped my last Phillips last week.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Default Another option for some locations

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/nas1801.php

External hex head #8 screws. Can be driven with either phillips or a nut driver (or a socket)

I am using them in some tough spots in the cabin (like the floor rail to center cover nutplates)
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Default Square drive

In hard to reach areas on the floor of my "6" I use square drive, round head screws from McFeely's. I also purchased a flexible screwdriver to get straight on the heads. Works great.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM

[quote=Tram;583755]Ok, so I just ordered a couple hundred. Everything is going "6-lobe." Have you found a decent driver tip for them or are they less prone to needing a special tip?[quote]

I used whatever quality of driver and tips for my screwgun with never a problem. Seems less prone for the need as you suggest. Have about a cup full of wrecked phillips screws I've saved in 6 years of cowling R&R. These, on the front access panels, are still perfect after 3 years. One panel gets more R&R than the cowls (battery access, brake cylinders etc,).

Had planned on trying the smaller ones for wheel pants and spinner but if they strip - that's not good. Wonder if they were being tightened too hard given that it's easy to do with this head?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7AV8R View Post
Bob, I had a disappointing experience with #6 & #8 ss torx screws from this vendor. I bought some about 4 yrs ago and they seemed to strip the head easier than AN Phillips heads. Maybe I got a soft batch, but I went back to AN.
Same experience here. Ordered a couple bags of #6 torx from them hoping to replace our wingtip phillips screws and they were very poorly made, soft and many with off-center sockets. Looking at their website now, they don't seem to carry the #6's now.

--Paul