VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-01-2017, 07:02 PM

Gene, I am going through the same sort of thing right now with my -6a. Not sure I have come up with my 'forever (or at least a year or two) configuration so I am just using the old panel as a support assembly and putting in three sub-panels. If, after a bit of flying, if I like what I have done, I will probably just ship the configuration off to Stein to use as a template for a more 'finished' solution using 1's and 0's to cut and etch aluminum. It has been a good adventure.

Yours is a much more polished interior than mine, but it still screams out to do a 'roll your own' for the black inserts to start. Lots of analog gauges to remove, who knows what you will eventually want to put in their place. My dos centavos.
RV-6A bought flying

Last edited by catmandu : 10-25-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Gene
That looks to be a panel from Glasair. Think that was out of a Glastar. At least that era. It looks a lot like the pics in their gallery.
Couldnt find it in their online parts catalogue but maybe a call could locate the manufacturer. All the best.
VAF #1401
(N89269) reserved
"Seek to understand before trying to be understood"

Last edited by AlphaCharlieBravo : 05-01-2017 at 07:37 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 05-01-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmohr View Post
Here is my current RV6A panel. I am trying to find out who manufactured the
panel blank and if possible purchase or make new panel inserts in order to
change to my GRT Sport SX EFIS. I will keep the current radio stack, everything
else will probably go.
Laird Owens made the panel blank; the blanks are simply 0.062 aluminum. I have the same panel, and have redone the blanks several times to accommodate new/replacement equipment. If you don't have the plans showing the dimensions etc. of the blanks, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to scan them and send the drawings to you.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 PM

Default The builder did it....

Hi Gene,

I was the "manufacturer" of the glass panel. I didn't supply the blanks. Like Brad said, those were to be cut out from the stock .063 panel supplied in the kit, so the builder cut out those parts.

My suggestion is to trace the outline and hole locations of the existing parts you have now and fabricate a new set. You have all the necessary info on those blanks.

Hopefully you have access to the tools necessary to do that, or perhaps you know a local builder that can help you out.

Best of luck,

Laird
SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmohr View Post
Here is my current RV6A panel. I am trying to find out who manufactured the
panel blank and if possible purchase or make new panel inserts in order to
change to my GRT Sport SX EFIS. I will keep the current radio stack, everything
else will probably go.

Thanks,

Last edited by Laird : 05-01-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-02-2017, 10:45 PM

This is the current state of my instrument panel; it's changed several times since I first built N164BL. Like Gene's panel, this started out as a fiberglass panel blank from Laird Owens (thanks Laird - it was super well thought out and manufactured!); I cut the aluminum inserts on my mill and after doing a number of them feel like I could do it almost blindfolded at this point :-)

The flight instrument section has a Skyview system along with a MGL ASI/Altimeter and TrueTrak T&B standbys. Also present is a TAWS annunciator, which is wired to the IFD540. The annunciators are crazy expensive new, but 28v units can be found on eBay for as little as $40. Cut a trace here, jumper a trace there, and now it's a 14v unit :-)

The radio stack has a King audio panel, an Avidyne IFD540, and an ICOM A200 secondary comm. The IFD540 is the most recent addition, and has a couple of things not shown in the panel. I modified the software and image of a Stratux box and built a custom enclosure for it; this allows it to be tucked behind the panel and feed weather/traffic data to the IFD540 and not be subject to image corruption when the avionics master is turned off thanks to a read-only filesystem. It also supports more of the GDL90 standard and excludes some of the stratus-specific stuff that neither the IFD540 or FF appear to use.

The engine stack has a Dynon EMS-D10, which I find I prefer to the Skyview's EMS for a couple of reasons. The PS Engineering PM3000 intercom is there as well along with the ELT switches. I built a Bluetooth 4.0 receiver and mounted it behind this panel as well; wired to both the audio panel and intercom it provides the usual music and phone capability. There are some other custom electronics behind that panel that I'll write up separately as well.

The air vent eyeballs are from Stein and work awesome - no leaks and very smooth operation. The cigarette lighter plug is connected to the hot bus and can be used to charge a cell phone, or can be used to provide ground power for running the avionics with an adapter cable I made (try that with a USB jack!). Speaking of USB, not in view but underneath the panel just to the right of the engine controls are USB jacks and serial lines to both the IFD 540 and Dynon system. This allows me to charge stuff in flight but not have a USB jack take up panel space, while the serial ports facilitate development projects or portable stuff to exchange data with the panel mounted equipment.

There are no circuit breakers - all the switches are toggle switches from B&C. Circuit protection is fuses across three buses: main, avionics, and hot/battery.

Not sure what's next for this panel, but the modular design makes updates really easy and I love the aesthetics of it. I don't think I'd change anything if I was going to do it over again.

Last edited by ChiefPilot : 05-05-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 AM

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Thank you Brad for the pdf file. I am in
the process of transferring to SolidWorks to send to my CNC machine. Also a big
thanks to Laird Owens for watching these forums. It is a great panel and I am
looking forward to the upgrade.
Trenton, SC (S17 homebase)
Happily Donated
Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 PM

Default Upgraded Panel from Legacy G3X to G3x Touch

So, I originally upgraded from steam gauges to the G3X in 2013 and have been trying to resist the temptation of jumping into the Touch for 4 years now. I finally could resist no longer...here are the before and after pictures.

By switching from 3 portrait displays to the GDU 460 and the new GDU 470, I gained about an inch and a half of real estate so that I was able to spread the units out a bit more than before. The downside was I had to cut, paint and label a new panel blank to accomplish this. In flying the old panel over the past 4 years, I had come up with a bunch of small changes I wanted to make anyway so just further incentive to cut a new blank. This is the third panel now in this airplane and they get easier each time. The old panel makes a perfect template to use to make the new one.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Helped build Bob Lund's airplane)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Wiring Hubs
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me