Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinAir View Post
Many of the modern avionics and EFISes have their own cooling fans in or on them, and in addition to that perhaps the most important thing is to have some sort of vent holes in the glareshield (or even a couple muffin fans). That should allow that dead space between the main panel and sub panel to be ventilated and kept at a good temperature, so everything should be good (as Bob noted, those glareshield fans also work as defrosters too).

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein
This is what I did. The 6A glareshield isn't' big enough to put a fan in it, so I used two 80mm computer fans in the area behind the panel. One sits near the bottom of the panel, pushing air up and the other sits in the foreward bulkhead in the cutout for the avionics, behind the panel, pushing air into the foreward area. I figured this would keep the air behind the panel from getting stale and hot.

Larry
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM

I have a CPU fan mounted on my -8 underneath the glareshield panel that serves the dual purpose of avionics bay heat remover and defroster - both of which functions have come in handy.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Default -8

Happen to have a picture of your install you could share jonweisw?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM

Default tipper

Rico,

I'm building a tip up 7 and installed them. I believe they are smaller (maybe 50mm) fans. That way, I could get clearance from the panel frame. Notice they are forward with a significant space from the tubular part of the frame. Check this before cutting and drilling, as you may have an interference issue with the canopy closing.

I later covered with material and grills. Was able to Sika Flex the canopy and it came out about right. Just check things before you do any of this and you'll be fine.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/catego...category=10220
2017 VAF SUPPORTER