Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2017, 07:23 PM

Electric or manual..... kind of like what paint color you like best.

There are plus's and minus's to both.

Manual flaps can be an added distraction to someone new to an RV equipped with them.

It the hands of someone that knows what they are doing they can provide some added capability that an electric flap RV doesn't have.

If you gave me an electric flap kit for my 6A I would sell and and by gas.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-09-2017, 09:16 PM

Default Deployment speed

I don't have a problem with my 'lectric ones...I just would prefer to be able to deploy and dump them much quicker for short field work.
Double exempt but happy to contribute! Dues paid 2016, 2017
www.know-love.org
Old 09-09-2017, 09:26 PM

The only problem with my manual flaps is when the passenger (especially my 6 year old son in his car seat) interferes with my ability to move the lever. I have yet to find a car seat that doesn't take up the entire width of the passenger seat and then some.

Otherwise, I love 'em. Wouldn't add the extra weight, maintenance, and delay factor for anything.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:16 PM

I made four changes when I installed my manual flaps that made a big differance in how they worked.

1. Shortened the handle to lay flat on the floor, but up just enough to get your fingers under to pull.

2. Filled in the release button and then ground it down so it would slide into the tube and NOT pinch your thumb.

3. Cut a ramp out of the second notch so you just pull for full flaps.

4. Installed hexagon links instead of the tubing..... far easier to adjust and tighten.

Manual flaps need "butt" space to work comfortably. If you have the space, then there is one less thing to go wrong during the life of your plane, and is maintenance free except for a little lube........ K.I.S.S.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPeterson View Post
Probably a good idea to see if anyone in the region has one you can fly, if even from the right seat, just to get a feel for what you will have.

It is obviously a personal preference - I've had zero issues in 1600 hours with my electric flaps. I did fly a couple hours in a 6A with manual flaps, but didn't care for them. For me, it was an awkward maneuver.
This is excellent advise. I flew my RV-6 with manual flaps for three years and it was a seamless transition from the Warrior (manual flaps) I had flown previously. However, I too often found deploying the manual flaps was an awkward maneuver that was preceded with requesting a portly passenger give me a bit of room around the flap lever. I then proceeded to poke them in the ribs with my elbow as I pulled the lever.

The electric flaps are so much easier to use, I have the flap switch on the panel where I can use it with my hand on the throttle. Retracting electric flaps after touchdown during a max performance landing is as efficient as dumping manual flaps (if good short-field technique is used) and I don't have to take my right hand off the flight controls.

I have no desire to make the move back to manual flaps in my 1999 RV-6.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:46 AM

Thumbs up Check your email

Scott , photos of the plans are in your email box. I think you can read them well enough help to make your decision. If you would like the originals just PM me with your physical address and I'll get them in the snail mail. Only my 2 cents but I think you already have the best control already installed.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
This is excellent advise. I flew my RV-6 with manual flaps for three years and it was a seamless transition from the Warrior (manual flaps) I had flown previously. However, I too often found deploying the manual flaps was an awkward maneuver that was preceded with requesting a portly passenger give me a bit of room around the flap lever. I then proceeded to poke them in the ribs with my elbow as I pulled the lever.

The electric flaps are so much easier to use, I have the flap switch on the panel where I can use it with my hand on the throttle. Retracting electric flaps after touchdown during a max performance landing is as efficient as dumping manual flaps (if good short-field technique is used) and I don't have to take my right hand off the flight controls.

I did leave one thing out in my above list..... my seat backs are only 12 inches wide. That makes a nice gap between the seats to reach for things behind the passenger seat. It also provides a space for my elbow as I pull in full flaps. Between that and the lever being lower to the floor and shorter, it all works fine.

I also came from a Warrior and do like the manual flaps. But, I did make many changes for the manual flaps. I do like the elbow space on each side of my seat. It allows me to get things out of my pockets and reach things that were restricted.

If I had a choice of Van's stock manual flaps with no alterations...... I would install the electric flap kit and move on.

I do not like the flap motor between the seats. Van just chopped off the handle and installed a L/A as a flap motor. He did move the weldment to the backside of the bulkhead, but created a doghouse between the seats. I would move the flap motor over to the right cargo wall and install it to mount on the seat bulkhead right behind the armrest. No doghouse to make, it takes longer to install the doghouse than the system itself.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 09-10-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I would move the flap motor over to the right cargo wall and install it to mount on the seat bulkhead right behind the armrest. No doghouse to make, it takes longer to install the doghouse than the system itself.
Now that is a good idea. Are you reading this Allan Nimmo?
Old 09-10-2017, 12:20 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post

I forgot to mention that my flap handle was shortened so it would roost against the floor. That gets it out of the way when the flaps are retracted but does require more effort to deploy the flaps.

But I didn't do the mod to prevent a nasty blood blister when you get pinched by the handle plunger....

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 09-10-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:37 PM

My project came with electric flaps, and as it was unbuilt at the time, I gave it some serious thought to sell the electric and make it manual flaps. I flew cessna 180's on floats a lot during the first part of my career, and really learned to love the manual flaps when your trying to get every inch of performance out of an aeroplane. However as I do not intend on doing serious bush flying with my RV I opted to stick with electric to save myself the space in the cockpit.

Just my 2 cents!

Alex
2017 Dues paid up