Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-08-2017, 04:40 PM

Default I had to bail on my RV :(

Dear RV,

Sorry, but I was left with the delima of having to leave you behind.

I would have taken you, but I had to fly the "work" airplane out.

It will be ok, I gave you the "work" airplanes BIG bed to sleep in while I am away.

Please don't take a bath when I am away....you are only water resistent and not water proof.

P.S. - Vlad, Ivan ran far and is hiding out in OKC while Mrs. Ivan is up the road from you near N733JJ (Jawdin)home.

Good luck fellow Floridian RV's and ALL!
Old 09-08-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingJack View Post

P.S. - Vlad, Ivan ran far and is hiding out in OKC while Mrs. Ivan is up the road from you near N733JJ (Jawdin)home.

iVan are you drinking now what I am drinking? Crown Royal usually messes up the autocorrect. Be safe there fellows we've seen worse.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 PM

I don't think it's liquor talking here..... John, it seems is a corporate pilot, who had to make the unfortunate choice of moving the corporate jet v.s. his beloved RV to safety from Irma's path. At least he is able to keep his RV8 in the corporate hangar ("the 'work' airplane's big bed to sleep in"). "Please don't take a bath while I'm away" - Naples is expected to get a 10-12' storm surge, which will put KAPF under water. I think John is writing this sad post to his RV8 because he had to leave it behind during the evacuation, and to you Vlad, because of a connection 'Ivan', who/whatever that is. John, like many others, referred to in his post, is worried about something that they have toiled and sweat over for countless hours, making it 'theirs'. The fruition of their work and dreams could be destroyed by Mother Nature. Let's hope and pray that these realized dreams will be spared.
RV-14 Wings - sold 2014
RV4 - Flying
Cessna 182RG - flying
New RV8 - Under construction
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
Old 09-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Thanks Scott. You are 100% correct.

Tough choice for sure, but half my family was called North to help Family a couple months ago so I was solo down in Florida.

The bright side is my wife is and has been 1200 miles away and I didn't have to worry for 1 second about her safety and between flying 40+ hours half way around the world over the last couple weeks I did what I could.

I am thankful My wife and I are safe....although in separate states.

But I am not going to get any sleep over the next couple days because I have 3 of my team amd their families still there.

Times like these I wish 747's were corp jets to fly tons of people out of harms way.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:43 AM

If anyone else has to make this decision, maybe keep in mind removing the expensive bits from the panel that come out easily... Radio, transponder, dynon/garmin screens, etc. A few screws and disconnects and if the worst happens you may save yourself a bundle. Heck, even removing the seat cushions could save you a few $K if you've got nice leather ones.

Fingers crossed that it's either not as bad as expected, or if it is, that the corporate shell is strong enough.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:08 PM

It may be a little late for some of you, however when I was in Kentucky I heard of this technique of strapping inflated truck/tractor inner tubes under the wings and fuselage so that if your hangar floods the aircraft just goes up with the water level. Apparently you need to anchor the aircraft centrally in the hangar on some slack lines so that it doesn't scrape on the walls.
I wish you guys all the best with what's coming.
Tom.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:03 AM

Default Brilliant suggestion

And one that would take some preparation, but new brakes would be much less trouble than a flooded out plane.
Privileged to explore the world in the venerable Lockheed C-130 and the regions around NC in a work-in-progress RV-4, kit #2614.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:04 AM

Default Abandoned

Hope all goes well John .
2017 donation paid
Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 AM

Default My reaction is unpostable

Having spent more than a few hours working on SJ (and performing the first flight), I am very upset with the situation. I was on my way to a family wedding in Boston when John told me he was unable to evacuate SJ. Airlines had stoped flying to FL, no way for me to get down there and get the plane out.

Let's hope the hangar doors can hold back the brunt of the water.

Scott A Jordan
N733JJ
Now time Garmin touch
Old 09-10-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N733JJ View Post
Having spent more than a few hours working on SJ (and performing the first flight), I am very upset with the situation. I was on my way to a family wedding in Boston when John told me he was unable to evacuate SJ. Airlines had stoped flying to FL, no way for me to get down there and get the plane out.

Let's hope the hangar doors can hold back the brunt of the water.

Scott A Jordan
N733JJ
Now time Garmin touch
I'm looking at the flip side Scott. All the Gelato we had and long weekends getting SJ in the air.

Plus, you were the one that got me hooked into the RV world. I had a lot of great trips and after the job moved to Florida we have flown a lot of places I couldn't have gone if not for the RV.

4 years in SW FL and you all know how long it takes by car to get out and only a couple fun hours by RV! Priceless!

In this world now for 9.5 years and I never knew how much of a stress reliever from work it could give.

Yes, if I lose it I will be upset... but no regrets here from the time spent with you on the build and the friends met here online that I know would do anything for anyone in the RV family.

I don't think my RV will be the only one Irma threatens.

Last edited by SmilingJack : 09-10-2017 at 07:46 AM.