VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-06-2017, 02:09 PM

Default Engine isolator

In the process of Confition Inspection and in checking all undone SBs, safety alerts, and Notifications I find I can't find the required (number BC-22002) engine isolators with numbers so I may have to pull my engine to meet the requirements of 16-08-10. Not a pleasant discovery.

My serial no. 120093 is obviously one of the early birds. My question is has anyone else had to make this change?
Dick Seiders
Old 09-06-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick seiders View Post
In the process of Confition Inspection and in checking all undone SBs, safety alerts, and Notifications I find I can't find the required (number BC-22002) engine isolators with numbers so I may have to pull my engine to meet the requirements of 16-08-10. Not a pleasant discovery.

My serial no. 120093 is obviously one of the early birds. My question is has anyone else had to make this change?
Dick Seiders
Didn't have to do it; but several have, stating isn't really that bad. Rent a engine hoist...do top ones first (loosen bottom ones and pivot engine down enough to pull top ones)...bottoms a reverse of tops.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 09-06-2017, 07:26 PM

I like the idea but wasn't sure I could get enough movement without disconnecting most components. If some have used that approach I feel more confident about giving it a shot. Thanks for the feedback.
Dick Seiders
Old 09-07-2017, 05:46 AM

I had to do mine. The only thing that I took off was the cowling, 2 air filters, and the tunnel harness cover. Then, I hooked up my little hoist and put a little lift tension on the engine. I actually loosened all 4 nuts way off to give a little wiggle room. I took the nuts off 2 at a time and aligned the lift to ensure free bolts, then my daughter swapped the mounts while I swung the engine as required. You only need about 3/8" to clear the mount cups. All total, about 2 1/2 hrs, including taking out the carpet and removing the tunnel harness cover. Don't over think it. It's not a big deal..............Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Default Double check

Before you do the replacement look VERY CAREFULLY. I took a second look with a bright light and clean glasses and found the numbers faintly along the edge of the washer.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben barron View Post
Before you do the replacement look VERY CAREFULLY. I took a second look with a bright light and clean glasses and found the numbers faintly along the edge of the washer.
Amen to that. I finally found the letters the third time I looked, with a bright LED light and a mirror. The very tops of the letters were just visible at the edge of the metal cup.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 09-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the input I tried to look the letters on it it just would t work. Will change them this week after Irma leaves.
Dick Seiders
Old 09-12-2017, 10:19 AM

Default 2nd look

I had to look twice also.
Finally saw the lettering on all of them. In some cases you can't see the lettering straight-on but it reveals itself "in shadow" of the light at an angle.
Also, a careful re-read of the bulletin stated that you will find the lettering on only 1/2 of each pair. Big relief, I was looking for it on both.
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 PM

I just swapped mine out. Wifey and I were planning a flight to Belfast, Maine for the third annual rv fly in and I thought since I had the cowl off to look it over, why not swap them out. Took about 2 hours total. Come on up to Belfast, the wx is beautiful!
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 09-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Tod
Did you remove two top bolts at same time or top and bottom on one side, and does it make any difference? I have the keys out and will switch them out tomorrow.
Thanks
Dick Seiders