Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-05-2017, 09:16 AM

Default Help with hot starts

Hi all,
I could really use some help on hot starting my IO540. It seems no matter what I do from priming to not priming to holding my tongue a certain way that nothing works.

I can finally get it to start after cranking for what seems too long and leaning out the mixture. I have the basic mechanical fuel injection with a boost pump and without a return line.

Can others please post their methods with a similar setup?

Thanks

2017 Dues Paid
Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 AM

Assuming your engine cranks over at the full starter speed...

There are TONS of threads and posts on this. I suggest doing a search to save a lot of people a lot of time typing. To get you some info though here is how I hot-start my IO-360 and there is no reason it won't work with a 540.

1. crack the throttle
2. mixture ICO
3. start cranking the engine
4. SLOWLY move mixture forward
5. when engine fires slowly move throttle forward
6. boost on if necessary to keep fuel pressure up

This is what hundreds of Bonanza, C-182, C-201, Mooney etc. pilots use successfully. There are other excellent methods, and I've tried them all but this is what works every time for me.

Let us know what you find out.

VAF Donation Made 7/2017 ------ "It has taken us this long just to get where we are!"
Old 09-05-2017, 10:05 AM

In the 6 hours on my RV10, I've had only 2 hot starts. Both went very easily. I did the following. Very similar to previous post.

1... Mixture Idle cut off.

2... Boost pump on for a few seconds. This pressurizes the line up to the servo and should eliminate any bubbles but doesn't flood the cylinders.

3... Crack the throttle just a little - the same as for a cold start.

4... Crank while slowly advancing the mixture toward rich.

This procedure worked for me twice in a row. Not exactly overwhelming statistics. But it's something to try.
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Old 09-05-2017, 10:14 AM

Agree with the above, usually works a dream.

That said, here are some other ideas. First thing I would do is check the mags or electronic ignition - check timing, check impulse etc. Make sure you have ignition available at the correct time.

Then

The solution starts with a question - how long has the engine been off ?

I am very familiar with IO-360, IO-540 and Continental IO-520 and can add a little for each.

0-10 Mins

Pump off, throttle cracked a tad - enough so that it is where you went from idle to say 1,000 rpm. Try it when running and see where the throttle is. Mixture ICO. Crank until first sign of firing then smoothly bring mixture to full rich, adjust throttle and be ready to run the pump if stumbling occurs. This is because our RV's are tightly cowled and retain heat so there may be bubbles of vapour in the firewall forward.

10-30 Mins

This is the interesting area usually as the motor doesn't know what it is doing ! You need to know what fuel system you have - is it direct to fuel servo or does it have a return line to the tank ?

A. No return line - try method above. If no success, mixture rich, throttle part open, run the pump for 2 - 3 seconds only. Back to start, mixture ICO, throttle cracked, crank and smoothly bring mixture out of ICO upon first sign of firing, be ready for fuel pump to keep it running smoothly.

B. Return line - Keep mixture in ICO and throttle open a way. Run fuel pump for 5 seconds to purge the line of any vapour. Back to start, mixture ICO etc etc.

After that you are out of reasons why a motor like that won't start unless there is something lurking in the induction system or ignition system

Donated in 2017
Old 09-05-2017, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I hadn't been attempting a hot start in the manner described and it's obviously why my starts are very rich. I'll try the methods posted.

2017 Dues Paid
Old 09-05-2017, 12:34 PM

Hot starts are difficult because the engine bleeds fuel out the injectors post shutdown and as a result the engine is almost always flooded. Generally, the LAST thing you want to do is add even more fuel. No prime, no boost, mixture in ICO and crank while slowly opening the throttle. Eventually, the excess fuel will be blown overboard and the mixture will fire. As soon as it does, add mixture, adjust throttle and you are golden. If the stumbling idle that follows bothers you (doesnt hurt anything), then throw the boost on to minimize the vapor.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 09-05-2017, 01:00 PM

Default my experience

Following the procedures similar to what others have already replied with, I have had not issues with hot starts in my RV7a with an IO360. However, with my RV10 with an IO540, I had a terrible time with hot starts until I installed an iStart system. Check out this link:

http://www.istartair.com/

Check it out. We flew some 50 hours this summer with numerous hot starts and never once had an issue.
Granbury, Tx
http://bit.ly/2bnimsZ
Old 09-05-2017, 01:16 PM

What kind of ignition setup you have? Van's had been shipping IO-540 engines with a straight and a retard mag, and they forget to mention (or at least they used to) that you need a SlickStart module. Without that you don't have a strong enough spark for hot starts. Just one possibility...
Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Iszak View Post
What kind of ignition setup you have? Van's had been shipping IO-540 engines with a straight and a retard mag, and they forget to mention (or at least they used to) that you need a SlickStart module. Without that you don't have a strong enough spark for hot starts. Just one possibility...
Sorry about that, knowing the ignitions would help.
Current ignition setup is one Lightspeed and one mag without the SlickStart module. I always start on the Lightspeed and then turn the key switch to both.

2017 Dues Paid
Old 09-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Iszak View Post
While a booster (or EI) will certainly help, it has been my experience that they aren't required to get the fire lit. My Rocket flew quite a while on straight Slicks. No issues with starts - hot or cold.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work

Last edited by Toobuilder : 09-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.