VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-04-2017, 08:26 PM

Default Sliding canopy side rail distance

I read the plans and the instructions. I've reviewed the forums for some info and seen some older posts. Although the instructions say I should see a width of 40 13/16 distance between the two side rails, like others before me, I'm seeing the distance of 41 1/4.

My frame sides are about 1/16 inboard from the skins and my canopy frame is higher than my roll bar. So far, so good.

The rails are parallel 41 1/4 front and back. I've only drilled the front screw hole in both rails. The aft screw hole (if I drill it) on the side rail would hit the edge of the longeron. My other screw holes are all fine. Is this a problem? What photos I been able to fine show that the aft screw is not on the longeron.

The aft bow of my canopy frame is hitting the skin. I'm anticipating the canopy would pull that away. Has anyone had the need to trim the skin back?

The plans show the screw no where near the longeron. Considering how the plans weren't very reliable, what have you guys seen. Am I on the right track, or am I screwing it up?

Appreciate any insight
Old 09-04-2017, 10:01 PM

Default Sliding canopy side rail distance

I beat this to death with measurements and mathematics. Short answer: mine measures 41.0" inside to inside of the vertical walls of the D shaped canopy rail. The canopy rail mounting flanges are inboard of this measurement.

Long answer. The big variation from builder to builder is the shape of the longerons and the width of the fuselage just aft of the roll bar at the centerline of the canopy frame. This is somewhat controlled by the spar carrythough vertical angles, but it is not as precise as the seatback bulkhead.

First I measured the outside distance from the LH side skin to the RH side skin at the centerline of the canopy frame 3/4" tube. Then I subtracted the width of the canopy side skirts, the canopy thickness, the 3/4" tube and the distance from the centerline of the canopy rail to the inside vertical wall.

Fuselage width 42.8125 (outside side skin to outside side skin)
C660 skirt -0.032
C660 skirt -0.032
Canopy thickness -0.188
Canopy thickness -0.188
Half frame tube -0.375
Half frame tube -0.375
Canopy track -0.306 (centerline of track to inside wall)
Canopy track -0.306 (centerline of track to inside wall)

The holes at the aft end of the canopy rail mounting flange come nowhere near the longeron on my airplane.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:54 AM

Default Slider measurments

Thanks for the tip. I did the calculations as well.

Outside to outside (behind roll bar): 43"
Rt skin. -.032
Lt skin. -.032
Canopy. -.188
Canopy. -.188
Half frame tube. -.375
Half frame tube. -.375
Canopy track. -.306
Canopy track. -.306

Total: 1.8 inches. Final 41.2

Same as I had measured. Seems wide, especially in the rear. Both tracks overhang about 3/16 on both rear sides, and rear screw hole on the edge of the longeron.

Makes me wonder if I should do more bending
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Vans response

Spoke with Vans. All measurements are a swag and vary from plane to plane as everyone has said. The fact my aft hole in the slider side rail hits the longeron in no big deal. Was told to build away....so I am.

Just don't want to screw it up