VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 PM

Default Unregistered confession....

So, I put an EarthX ETX 680 in my plane.

Unknown to me, my ammeter had suffered infant mortality (ok, I bought it used!) AND I also had a blown over-voltage module which took my alternator off line. And yes, my plane is purely analogue.

Soooo, I ended up flying over 7 hours on my electrically-dependent engine (as in no battery or alternator and the fan quits) when I finally noticed a suspicious drop on my voltmeter.

I was 20 miles from home over inhospitable territory.

I limped home, got my sh_t together and figured out I had been running on battery power alone for the entire 7 hours on the hobbs - which was also the first 7 hours of phase 1.

I kind of fell in love with my EarthX after this experience. I charged it up and it has been perfect ever since.

Boy, I'm sure glad I posted this as unregistered so no one knows who this idiot is! Oh, wait....????
Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 PM

Default secret is safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndwarrior View Post
...Boy, I'm sure glad I posted this as unregistered so no one knows who this idiot is! Oh, wait....????
Don't worry - your secret is safe with us.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Default EarthX with a 540

I have used both an ETX900 and an ETX1200 in my RV-10. Both seem to crank the engine the same speed (very fast). The battery was mounted on the firewall far too close to the exhaust which caused a little deformation of the case due to radiant heat. It still performed perfectly but I wanted to change the location. When I contacted EarthX about the case bulge they suggested that I send it in to get checked out (at no cost) so while I was doing that I decided to just upgrade to the ETX1200. It wasn't for the lack of cranking speed, it was for extra capacity since I have a CPI ignition and all glass panel. If I had to do it over again I would just go with the ETX1200.

I've been flying since Nov and already have just under 150 hours (hobbs) on the aircraft.

It's a great product and EarthX provides fantastic customer service.
RV-10 C-GNCX Flying and LOVING IT!
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM

Default ETX900 in mine

I've been flying with an ETX900 for about a year now with no issues, even prolonged cranking after a botched hot start has been uneventful. The 35# hunk of lead that I replaced with the ETX now resides in a more appropriate machine - my lawnmower...
Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 PM

Default its not does it work.. but when it fails...

I am sorry, the issue with Li batteries is not can they crank, can they sit, can they deliver amps, but when they fail under charging when everything else is working....the stats will tell over time what is safe or not, is the 10 lbs worth the risk of a fire etc...I lost 20 lbs and put the weight in a reliable battery...better for me and taking a red/yellow box out of my risk analysis. To each is own...fly happy and long. I am very happy to recycle lead batteries with high efficiency (LCA) and fly with Odyssey batteries and keep the weight off MY gut....
RV10 slow build & flying & loving it
Old 09-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Michael,
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand the question. If you're concerned about an EarthX bursting into flames like other lesser lithiums we've seen in the news, be advised that this Lithium IRON PHOSPHATE battery has a different chemistry than those other batteries, and is not susceptible to such thermal runaway.

I'm not sure what "fail under charging" means. In any case, the battery management circuits well give you an indication of problems long before the battery simply fails.

If you're concerned with an over-voltage from the charging system, this battery internally disconnects incoming charge at 16.0 volts, while still sending outbound battery power to the rest of the system. As we saw in Indwarrior's post above, that power lasts a long time.

Hey, Kathy, in the past year, have any ETXs simply failed?

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
Northwest Regional, Roanoke TX (52F...home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2017 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 09-09-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollF4 View Post
SNIP

If you're concerned with an over-voltage from the charging system, this battery internally disconnects incoming charge at 16.0 volts, while still sending outbound battery power to the rest of the system. SNIP
This is the element that concerns me. Perhaps I don't understand but reading the EarthX manual I see how the battery is protected - but do not see how the panel is protected from the run away alternator that now has no battery as a sump to mitigate the overvoltage condition.

In a typical install if a voltage regulator fails output voltage can go very high. A standard battery will mitigate some of this overvoltage condition as the alternator can only put out so much current. This will not last forever but it might buy the pilot time to figure out what is happening and take the alternator off line before his panel fries. The 1 second delay in the EarthX disconnecting on overvoltage to 'allow the alternator overvoltage crowbar to work' does a nice job at protecting the battery but at the expense of 50+ volts going into the panel if the overvoltage protection does not work.

Nothing replaces alternator overvoltage protection but as we have seen this does happen. Having overvoltage warnings is also a must. The EarthX approach to protect the battery on overvoltage and ignore the rest of the plane would not be how I would design the system.

Carl
Old 09-09-2017, 05:25 PM

I copy all that, Carl.
I forget that not everyone is set up like my aircraft...I have a VPX pro managing my electrics, including the charging system. If my voltage regulator fails, my VPX disconnects the alternator field at 15.9 volts, leaving just the battery. If a 16 volt spike makes it through, the battery managers disconnect charging input, but still allow the battery output.

All this came from extensive back-n-forth QnA with the folks from EarthX and Vertical Power at Oshkosh this year. By "back-n-forth", I was trotting back and forth between their booths with new questions until I was satisfied. I, too, want to make sure my electronics are protected from a 'Chernobyl' failure.

Of note, I'm not sure if this answers any of the OP's questions, but both vendors complimented my setup.

"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
90% done, 90% to go...

Old 09-09-2017, 06:55 PM

Default protection/failure modes...risk management...etc

The safety of one cathode material over the other is debatably, and being done by people much smarter than I...and the safety of the anode, lithium metal build up, etc.....we all fill our cockpits, tail section, and engine compartments with electronic/mechanical "toys" meant to do a job. My point was lithium batteries have certain failure risks, that must be mitigated to insure safety, and in my choice/opinion, solve a problem that does not exist in our RVs, this is based on weight and/or electrons needed to start or get out of IFR to VFR and safely on the ground with a 100% charging system failure. I ran two hours (in good VFR!) with an odyssey 925, landed, and started with good cranking power. If folks want to carry xxx amps with yyy less lbs, more power to ya...enjoy the amps sitting in your battery, fly safe, and do check your voltage often, good for all of us to do...
RV10 slow build & flying & loving it
Old 09-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Excellent points all.

90% done, 90% to go...