Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Default Earthx batteries

Hi Guys

Can anyone that uses these batteries maybe report back on performance/ durability and which one to use for 540?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Default The VAF Search is your friend

Henke,
I ran a VAF search on EarthX for you (link below).

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...rchid=32829252

Simply put, EarthX batteries' performance and durability are outstanding, as are their safety and the company's customer support. If Kathy or a 540/EarthX user don't chime in here soon, I'd just visit their website and email them.

Remember, though, that you need to match the battery to the alternator's amperage, not the engine. For example, of you use the Odyssey 680 battery, you want an EarthX ETX680. I have a 70 amp alternator, which makes the ETX680 too small: Thus, I fly an ETX900.

Of note, with my airplane on a flat surface, no wind, engine off, no chocks, throttle idle/mixture cutoff: If I crank the prop for 10 seconds, that battery has me taxiing forward at 2 knots groundspeed! I love the EarthX battery.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
Northwest Regional, Roanoke TX (52F...home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2017 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 09-04-2017, 01:34 PM

Seems a number have been replaced in the first year under warranty for cell imbalance warnings. When I asked the question here on VAF (how many and why), a month or 2 ago, it went unanswered. Good to step up and replace product which doesn't meet specs but why have we seen reports of several here being replaced within months of purchase? Is this just extra caution on the part of EarthX for the aviation environment?

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 416.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 09-04-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Without actually answering on EarthX's behalf, but based solely on my own observations, I believe it's a two-fold 'yes'.

Over the past 2 years, EarthX had been improving their product, including the cell balancing and the battery management circuits' tracking and identification of cell problems.

In addition, they've been very aggressive in immediately replacing such batteries. They want the old battery back because it's a data point that helps them improve the product. At Oshkosh, Kathy told me their return rates have dropped as they have improved the product.

Me? Clearly I'm a fan of the battery.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
Northwest Regional, Roanoke TX (52F...home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2017 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 09-04-2017, 02:17 PM

I just replaced my Pc680 with an Earthx and while I can't vouch for longevity, I can vouch for the weight savings and the extra cranking amps...the thing really spins my IOX-370 at start. So far very pleased. It's hard to imagine that much energy out of something so small and light
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight November 20, 2016
Phase One Complete June 1, 2017
http://www.marksrv8.com
2017 Donation Complete!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:19 PM

Thanks Sid. Thinking also the etx900 will do the job
Old 09-04-2017, 02:30 PM

Default ETX900

I have been flying behind an ETX900 since February 2016. Promptly replaced when I called about a cell imbalance warning. No issues since then.

Not only does this battery spin the prop faster than anything I have seen, it also recharges just as fast. After a prolonged hot start, I have seen 60+ amps for a minute before it declines to my normal 17 amp draw.

I'm a fan.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

I've had a 1200 in my own RV-10 and a couple of 900's in others for over a year with no issues.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 09-06-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Seems a number have been replaced in the first year under warranty for cell imbalance warnings. When I asked the question here on VAF (how many and why), a month or 2 ago, it went unanswered. Good to step up and replace product which doesn't meet specs but why have we seen reports of several here being replaced within months of purchase? Is this just extra caution on the part of EarthX for the aviation environment?
Dear Ross,

The original software algorithm in 2015 for detecting cell imbalances was too conservative and was giving false warnings. Our primary focus is safety and performance and when we received these batteries back, there was nothing wrong with the cells but that is how we determined the software was too conservative. I am sure it was an inconvenience to these battery owners, but we would rather be on the side of caution than not.

Kathy
Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthX Lithium View Post
Dear Ross,

The original software algorithm in 2015 for detecting cell imbalances was too conservative and was giving false warnings. Our primary focus is safety and performance and when we received these batteries back, there was nothing wrong with the cells but that is how we determined the software was too conservative. I am sure it was an inconvenience to these battery owners, but we would rather be on the side of caution than not.
Thanks Kathy, that was the info I was looking for.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 416.6 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm