- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Default SkyView Touch screen failure....second time

Shortly after take off today ( SLSA) SkyView Touch screen froze. Then went completely blank.
As I was about to push the buttons to reboot it did it itself. Then blanked again several more times.

Last edited by Top Cat : 08-30-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:47 PM

If you haven't already, go to the Dynon forums and see if you can find discussions or answers there. I've had several good experiences there. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:33 PM

Yes, go to Dynon Skyview factory forum. This was a common issue awhile back but subsequent software upgrades have apparently fixed this bug.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 540+ hours (as of Sept 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:27 PM

The USB stick caused this problem with my Skyview and others. Removing it fixed the problem. When I scanned the stick, it had errors on it. After repairing them, the reboot problem went away. YMMV but Something to check. Others tried a different USB stick and fixed the reboot problem.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2017 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV (RV4chick's blog)
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Backup

Do you have a backup steam airspeed and altemeter gauges? Just wondering what the backup plan is.

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Flying
Old 08-30-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvator51 View Post
The USB stick caused this problem with my Skyview and others. Removing it fixed the problem. When I scanned the stick, it had errors on it. After repairing them, the reboot problem went away. YMMV but Something to check. Others tried a different USB stick and fixed the reboot problem.
Thomas thanks a lot for the tip.
I contacted Dynon Tech support and after a lengthy discussion this was their suggestion too.
I've already removed the stick as I'd exported the diagnostic file as per the error code on Skyview.

Next time I'm at the RV I'll see how it is without the stick and report back.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Do you have a backup steam airspeed and altemeter gauges? Just wondering what the backup plan is.
For now backup plan is iPad for situational awareness and thinking of an Ifly GPS but they don't offer an EMS substitute.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Yes, go to Dynon Skyview factory forum. This was a common issue awhile back but subsequent software upgrades have apparently fixed this bug.
Tech support suggested uploading SV 15.2 Ihave 15.1 and usually wait for Vans to offer heir "version" and download from their. That being said I have t had to load their settings files for a while so perhaps in this instance I should just update to 15.2 direct from Dynon?
Old 09-01-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Shortly after take off today ( SLSA) SkyView Touch screen froze. Then went completely blank.
As I was about to push the buttons to reboot it did it itself. Then blanked again several more times.
Dynon has a known design flaw in the SkyView system where an external USB flash drive can hang up the operating system. Until they resolve the problem, I would never trust the SkyView EFIS as my sole attitude source in IMC. I flew a friends FIRST RV-12 flight and dealt with the same screen freeze/reboot issue as described above. We've had at least 6 similar SkyView failures by users at my local airport. Dynon Tech Support has always been fantastic, but I'm afraid SkyView hardware reliability is lacking and a long way from being Dynon Certified by the FAA.
Dual Skyviews, Garmin 796/SL30
EAA/AOPA/Vans Air Force Supporter
Old 09-02-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswalden View Post
Dynon has a known design flaw in the SkyView system where an external USB flash drive can hang up the operating system. Until they resolve the problem, I would never trust the SkyView EFIS as my sole attitude source in IMC. I flew a friends FIRST RV-12 flight and dealt with the same screen freeze/reboot issue as described above. We've had at least 6 similar SkyView failures by users at my local airport. Dynon Tech Support has always been fantastic, but I'm afraid SkyView hardware reliability is lacking and a long way from being Dynon Certified by the FAA.
Bob thanks for that info.

I haven't been able to get to the airplane for. Few days due to weather.

I've had a USB drive installed in the port under SkyView pretty much since I bought the plane. I added the wifi adapter and installed in the back of the unit since it stays in there.
Dynon says the drive in lower port may be corrupted and I do have an expired Seattle Avionics sectional installed a,though it's never been an issue before.

In future I'll just keep a drive handy in case I need to export a file or do a screen shot.

Agree with SkyView being great for sport flying but I think they ought to focus more on reliability than adding new features. Some things like HITS or synthetic
Vision I never use, interesting but superfluous to my own type of flying.