A couple things:
- For The nose fork wheel pant "upgrade" part number isn't available through the Van's web store, but if you call them, it's $20 and is essentially a couple new brackets and hardware.
- The dye penetrant kit will last for many uses, so don't get sticker shock at the initial price. I have a kit over 5 years old and still going; I believe the shelf life was something like 10 years.
- I agree that it's unreasonable to expect "all my landings are greasers". Thanks for posting photos of your cracks. I haven't flown mine yet, but based on this, I'm going to plan to swap out the fork at my first annual. I agree with others that the cost of ~$350 for both the fork and pant hardware is a good insurance policy.
- RV-12 N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finally on the finishing kit, so, something like 90% done and 90% left to go.
- 1975 B58 Baron, N1975G (a bottomless money pit that makes building an RV look like lunch money, but it's a great airplane, hauls the family and my wife likes two engines...go figure)
- 1961 A33 Debonair, N433JC (R.I.P.)
- RV7A; didn't finish it and donated to kid's club
- Zenith CH601XL; flying somewhere in Louisiana https://youtu.be/wa_Y_A_rP_8