Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
I would guess that MOST of the RV12 fleet has a wheel pant on the nosewheel. This looks nice etc, but it keeps the nose fork from being inspected unless you remove the two piece cover.
I actually do all my local flying with the wheel fairings off just so I can do a better preflight. It lets me see the brake pads, tire condition, brake lines in addition to the nose wheel fork.

To tell the honest truth, I don't care about the speed with local flying, only when I take an extended trip. It only takes about 45 min to put them on.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM

I agree with the "pants off" decision. Since the inspection notice came out, I have not put my wheel pants back on, making it very easy on preflights to take a look. So far, all is well........Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 08-28-2017, 02:41 PM

Agreed! This is a safety issue that costs less than 1% of what you paid for the plane. Suck it up and replace it even if you haven't even used the original yet.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Scott,

This begs the question as to whether the ASTM landing gear loads requirements are adequate. Do you think they are?
If you mean to prevent a nose fork failure from ever happening in any single airplane in the fleet, probably.
That is why a reinforced fork was designed and incorporated.

Food for thought though.....

Does the outcome shown in THIS VIDEO indicate that the load requirements imposed by FAR 23 are inadequate?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-28-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Scott,

This begs the question as to whether the ASTM landing gear loads requirements are adequate. Do you think they are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
If you mean to prevent a nose fork failure from ever happening in any single airplane in the fleet, probably.
That is why a reinforced fork was designed and incorporated.

Food for thought though.....

Does the outcome shown in THIS VIDEO indicate that the load requirements imposed by FAR 23 are inadequate?
Clearly, the Piper Warrior "wheel barrow" accident does not say that the Part 23 landing gear requirements were/are inadequate. It is surprising the nose gear didn't fail sooner, given the abuse the pilot subjected it to. And I'm sure Piper did not redesign the nose gear because of that accident.

I was just wondering if the ASTM standards are adequate, given the issues with the initial RV-12 NLG fork, and (IIRC) the additional work Van's did on the braked-roll condition and subsequent modifications to the main gear attach structure (SB 12-11-09).
(Pic 1), (Pic 2), (Pic 3)
Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - No longer owned
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 08-28-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Clearly, the Piper Warrior "wheel barrow" accident does not say that the Part 23 landing gear requirements were/are inadequate.
I agree.
My point is that regardless of what standard you design to, there will be situations where something can still be made to fail depending on how it is treated.
I don't mean to imply that a landing such as this caused the failure that is the subject of this forum thread.
As you know there are a lot of different ways things can fail. A single overload event as in the posted video, or progressively over time because of numerous events where the component was only slightly overloaded .

At the time that the new design nose gear fork was installed on the red prototype/demonstrator for flight test and long term durability testing, the original fork had well north of 1000 hrs. A lot of those hours were doing transition training so it was not because it was babied by a few highly experienced pilots.
It had no evidence of any cracking or developing fatigue failure.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 PM

Default Pants off, hubcaps on.

Tom,
I'm with you on this. I took my wheel pants off and put on a couple of hubcaps. When I decide to go on a 400+ mile trip, I'll put them back on but for all the local stuff, those huge puppies are staying off. Some may disagree, but Im not seeing a lot of difference between hubcaps and wheels pants. There is no doubt the pressure recovery wheel pants are more efficient, but not as much as you would think. Especially for local stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
I actually do all my local flying with the wheel fairings off just so I can do a better preflight. It lets me see the brake pads, tire condition, brake lines in addition to the nose wheel fork.

To tell the honest truth, I don't care about the speed with local flying, only when I take an extended trip. It only takes about 45 min to put them on.

RV-3 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Flying
Old 08-28-2017, 05:31 PM

I fly around with no pants on all the time. Just sayin'.

Flying a Warrior PA28-151 and a few RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)
Old 08-28-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I agree.
My point is that regardless of what standard you design to, there will be situations where something can still be made to fail depending on how it is treated.
I don't mean to imply that a landing such as this caused the failure that is the subject of this forum thread.
As you know there are a lot of different ways things can fail. A single overload event as in the posted video, or progressively over time because of numerous events where the component was only slightly overloaded .

At the time that the new design nose gear fork was installed on the red prototype/demonstrator for flight test and long term durability testing, the original fork had well north of 1000 hrs. A lot of those hours were doing transition training so it was not because it was babied by a few highly experienced pilots.
Scott, a failure is a failure. It should not have happened.

But it did and it is not appropriate to minimize it.

Like a crankshaft failure, it is unacceptable. The original struts should have been recalled and except for cost, would have been.

Sometimes it is pound foolish to be penny wise. That's what this is all about.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Welding

Scott also it could be a problem with the welding on only a few Weldments or quality control

Joe Dallas

Quote:
I agree.

Kit-#12400
www.joesrv12.com
www.rvbuilderlist.com