- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Good insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlloyd3 View Post
Landing downwind your primary nose pointing device (rudder) will lose authority at a faster speed than normal.
That's a good insight right there. On takeoff, my rudder doesn't gain authority until about 40 KIAS. I usually line up left of centerline aiming 5 degrees right so I make a nice arc to the centerline so I don't have to drag the brakes. My tiny little tires will flat-spot themselves if I apply brakes above 45 KIAS. I have to be very careful landing in any kind of crosswind.

So would this same theory apply on a very cold day?
Old 08-26-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Agreed 100%.

We had a Pitts for 19 years. It was the most powerful rudder *by far* of any airplane I've ever flown. Couple that with a significant amount of gyroscopic stability at full power and it was not the monster people claim it to be. Something else was going on. Had it happened on landing, I'd be more inclined to blame the wind.

Otoh, I generally agree with the original post. Quartering tailwinds can be a challenge for sure given the right (wrong?) airplane - especially during a wheel landing. Something to keep in mind when deciding whether or not to three point it.
Excellent, excellent point about wheel vrs 3 point landing....and a reason I need to shape up and do more near 3 pointers with the 8. I do believe getting the tail wheel down sooner than later would help in such conditions.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 08-26-2017, 07:34 PM

Thumbs up Tail winds

I've flown over 3500 hours in tailwheel airplanes from a Pitts to DC3's. The 3 has a demonstrated xwind of 13 kts. And 5 kt. quartering tailwind. My recommendation is never, I repeat never land with a quartering tailwind. You are asking for trouble, I have done it on one way strips, but it is wrong. Wait for a headwind or xwind, but no quarters. I was safety officer for a military tailwheel airplane and we didn't want anyone to land with a quarting tailwind, several tried and several ground looped.
RV6A owner
L19 sold
Dues paid 2015,16,17
Old 08-26-2017, 09:10 PM

Over 3,000 hours in tailwheel RVs. I always tell others to takeoff and land into the wind. At my home airport, I will take off downhill and land uphill with wind any direction as long as it is below 5 kts. It pretty much does not matter to me in my RV-6 what wind direction is at any airport as long as it is less than 5 kts. IF I were to be flying another RV, it would be into the wind.

I once watched two RVs land at an airport that had 3-knots of quartering tailwind. Both landed without issue BUT when one of them turned to exit the runway it went up on its nose. The tail was in the air and pilot in the cockpit till it was pulled down by someone on the ground.

My RV-6 handles crosswind landings with either wheel landings or 3-point landings. Most of my landings the past 10-years have been wheel landings but will typically 3-point with strong or gusting crosswinds. The 3-point is just my personal preference and I tell others that they should use what they like and feel safest doing.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:04 AM

Smile Advice

my instructor used to say...."It's better to fly into the wind and break ground that the other way around...."

Last edited by jefferts : 08-27-2017 at 07:45 PM.