- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2017, 07:13 PM

Default New Voltage Regulator Needed

I need a new voltage regulator. I really want a Silent Hektik 14 volt with spade connectors, and without the Lithium Ion step charging. I have gone through pages of posts on the subject, but have not found a single good SK part number, or USA supplier. Probable caused by my poor search skills. It looks like we have quite a few flying, so there must be a source. I would really appreciate it if someone could guild me to a good part number and source.

Thanks for your help............Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 PM

Tom .... Just curious as to why you find the voltage stepping on the Silent Hektik F-4118 regulator objectionable? My understanding is that the voltage stepping is also beneficial for AGM batteries such as our Odyssey PC-680 batteries.

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of hours on my Silent Hektik F-4118 regulator yet ... but it seems to be working well thus far.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018
Old 08-24-2017, 09:20 PM

I have the voltage stepping SH regulator in mine. The part I don't like is that if the engine is not running for more than 30 minutes, there is virtually no charging going on. It doesn't hit above 13.5V until I've been in the air a good while. I'd much prefer to either just have full voltage from the outset, or have it step up to full voltage within 10 minutes or so instead of 45 minutes. OK if you're on a cross country trip; not so great if it's a day of short Young Eagles flights.

I emailed SH to ask if the regulator could be programmed or field modified to do that -- the response was somewhat snotty and said they could build me one for 300 Euros, plus shipping. Sigh... Germans. I'll live with it.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 08-24-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
Tom .... Just curioius as to why you find the voltage stepping on the Silent Hektik F-4118 regulator objectionable? My understanding is that the voltage stepping is also beneficial for AGM batteries such as our Odyssey PC-680 batteries.

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of hours on my Silent Hektik F-4118 regulator yet ... but it seems to be working well thus far.
John, I'd prefer to have the full 14+ Volt charging from the start. I think it would suit my short flights better. From what I have read, they make them. I just need a good number, and a USA supplier. I think the number is R4112 but I'm not certain, nor do I know a supplier. ..............Tom
Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 PM

Actually, I would even be willing to give the 4118, 4 step unit a try, but I still can't find a place to buy one......................Tom
Old 08-25-2017, 03:21 AM

There's nothing harder to find than a compatible regulator. Wish you the best of luck!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todehnal View Post
I think the number is R4112 but I'm not certain, nor do I know a supplier. ..............Tom
You are correct about the part number of 4112 being a non steeping version .... I have one of those as well. Apparently, at one time they came in different versions spade leads and wired .... there is a little history here so I will tell the story as I know it.

A few years back when it was being reported the Ducati regulators were beginning to fail, a photo was posted here of the Silent Hektik F-4112 regulator with spade leads. I liked the idea of having a much more robust heatsink .... so while I was still building my RV-12, I ordered the Silent Hektik through a motorcycle shop in England that sells Silent Hektik products using the F-4112 part number that was on the label of the one I saw in the photo posted here on the VAF forums.

When the regulator was received, it had a part number of R-4112 and had wires coming out of the regulator as opposed to the spade leads I was expecting. I had the motorcycle shop in England call Silent Hektik to inquire about why the unit I received had wires as opposed to the spade leads and the answer the shop received was that Silent Hektik no longer offered the spade lead version with the F-4112 part number and that now it only comes with wires. The motorcycle shop was told that the F-4118 regulator is the one that now comes with spade leads.
Return from the future: I have just been informed that the Silent Hektik F-4112 non-stepping regulator with spade leads is still available after just speaking to another builder who ordered one within the last year. Apparently the shop that passed the info on to me did not receive good intel from Silent Hektik or misunderstood.

Notice the subtle change in the part number ... the one I received is R-4112 not the F-4112 I was expecting. Will it work .... sure will but it is NOT pin for pin compatible with the Ducati regulator's connector. What is the difference other than the R-4112 having wires? Its the way the regulators obtain their grounding. The F-4112 spade lead version gets its ground through the case of the regulator being bolted to the firewall shelf so it has a spade lead called Bat+ (which on the RV-12 wiring harness for the Ducati regulator is connected to the R lead just in front of the connector).

However, the R-4112 regulator receives its ground through one of the wires (Bat -) coming from the regulator and NOT through the regulator's case ... this wire needs to be run directly to battery's ground. For this reason, the wired version of the regulator IS NOT pin for pin compatible with the existing wiring connector that plugs into the Ducati regulator. That said, all the remaining wires are compatible ... so they could be plugged into the connector for the Ducati regulator. It's just the Bat - wire from the R-4112 regulator that can't be plugged into the Ducati regulator's connector because that is Bat + ... instead, the Bat- wire coming from the regulator needs to be run directly to the negative terminal on the battery.

I did a big write up on this on the Blog with photos that can be seen here:
http://www.dogaviation.com/2017/06/i...backed_12.html
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018

Last edited by John-G : 08-26-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:21 AM

John, thanks very much for your help. I finally found an email address for Silent Hektik and sent them an inquiry. I was pleased to receive a reply the same day. In my email, I asked specifically for the F4112 with spade connectors. I also mentioned that I was installing it on a Rotax 912 ULS. The reply stated that the new and improved F4118 would be a direct replacement and that it was designed to work with A.G. and L.I. batteries. I guess that I was mistaken when I said that I thought the non stepping 4112 was a better choice. They also sent me an order form link. Go to the following link and click on "order" which is right below the green "Made In Germany". The price in US dollars comes to about $200 plus tax and shipping. Not sure what the exact total would be. I also asked about the capacitor. I mentioned that we had a 22 micro-farad capacitor already in the circuit. They said that was satisfactory for their installation. Maybe this will save someone else all of the frustrating research that I went through. So, they are available directly from S.H. and the cost will probably end up to be about 20% higher than the OEM unit. But I think that it is probably worth the extra cost............Tom

the Link: http://www.silent-hektik.de/UL_R_912.htm
Old 08-26-2017, 07:17 AM

It looks like the "Country" section of the mailing address only contains EU countries. Are you sure they'll ship to the U.S.? It also looks like the credit card info only provided for DE or EU credit cards.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 08-26-2017, 08:31 AM

Default NAPA Voltage Regulator

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...=122197&page=7

Good discussion on a NAPA replacement for the Ducatti (sp?) VR.

I had my VR go out too, then found this thread discussing the NAPA replacement.

Bought the NAPA regulator, installed it inside my cockpit on the inside of the firewall, then bought one of those 5" square 12VDC cooling fans off of Amazon.

My cooling fan runs anytime the Master Switch is on and blows cooling air over the regulator.

It puts out about 14.7 volts and will handle up to 20 amps.

Have had it in for over 100 hours now, and no issues.

NAPA Part Number: SMA 7068102

Regards
Rodney