VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Default Flap rigging question

I did not build my rv6, but i am tweaking it for better speed. The flaps are rigged like the pictures and i am not sure if it is right. It looks like i am flying around with flaps out 2-3 degrees. This may explain some of the 5-8mph tas i am searching for. It has a 160hp 0-320 with catto 3 blade 67x70" prop. At 8000ft density altitude at WOT and leaned for max rpm, i am turning 2650 rpms doing 182.5 mph tas. The static rpm is 2200rpm, so i think the prop is correct, but the drag profile is too high. What are you guys thoughts on this flaps setup? I have not checked the incidence, but i have removed the wingtips and made a fixture to check the aileron and flap alignment to the chord using the tooling holes. It is perfect and the plane flies laser straight hands off. Do other -6's flaps have the flaps hanging down like this?

Catto 3-blade gen 3
Smoke system
1044 lbs
71.63" cg
Panel update in progress
Dynon d180
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanhank View Post
I did not build my rv6, but i am tweaking it for better speed. The flaps are rigged like the pictures and i am not sure if it is right. It looks like i am flying around with flaps out 2-3 degrees. This may explain some of the 5-8mph tas i am searching for. It has a 160hp 0-320 with catto 3 blade 67x70" prop. At 8000ft density altitude at WOT and leaned for max rpm, i am turning 2650 rpms doing 182.5 mph tas. The static rpm is 2200rpm, so i think the prop is correct, but the drag profile is too high. What are you guys thoughts on this flaps setup? I have not checked the incidence, but i have removed the wingtips and made a fixture to check the aileron and flap alignment to the chord using the tooling holes. It is perfect and the plane flies laser straight hands off. Do other -6's flaps have the flaps hanging down like this?

I left my flap linkage adjusted so the flap was a few degrees too high/retracted. Then did a bunch of cruise testing in calm air to validate the most effective rectracted location.

In your case, you would need to remove the fences to accomplish that.

Larry
Old 08-21-2017, 10:42 PM

Smile

Tolerance seem to build up in that area during construction - no pre-punched stuff here...

Get a digital level and check that both wings are set at the correct incidence per the plans and then check the flaps are set at the same incidence measuring at the mid-span of each flap.

In my case I ended up with one flap slightly low like yours and one flap slightly higher than the bottom fuselage surface. A small extension inwards, bent as needed, on the flaps fixed the discrepancies, which were less than 1/8 inch.

Neutral for the flaps/ailerons is set by lining up all of the rib/aileron rib tooling holes at the wing tips. I could never get the plans recommended template to work correctly.

And apparently can even happen on pre-punched -7 kits...

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...6&postcount=11
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 08-21-2017 at 11:17 PM.