- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2017, 01:58 PM

Default Creating a potential point of failure

I'll cut the wires if I ever need to remove the wings. Then I'll install proper, robust connectors -or splice - when I put the wings back on. 17 years and the wings are still as installed originally.

Houston
Old 08-21-2017, 03:18 PM

I'm still building so, fwiw: I'm using one CPC connector for the wires out the right wing to the servo because I want a really good all in one connector for the array of data bus wires and controls out to the roll servo - primary "autopilot" servo in the Garmin setup. I'm pretty pleased with the solid connection - added an o-ring on the outside so it should stay watertight. Otherwise - I'm using terminal blocks and splices for the lights, pitot heat, fuel levels, stall warning.

https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVprojec...type=3&theater
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/
Old 08-22-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmingman View Post
Lars, do you have the terminal blocks seated on a tray?
I made a couple of angles out of aluminum sheet, then pop riveted them to the ribs. There is a gap between the angles that you can't really see in the photo. Then screwed the terminal blocks to the angles. Not very sophisticated.

I was influenced in my decision to add the terminal blocks+ring connectors and consequent extra potential electrical failure points by the opinions (grumblings?) of a hangar neighbor whose business was exporting aircraft overseas. Including a lot of RVs. He was much happier when there was a clean way to disconnect wing wiring rather than having to cut. He also argued that it could make troubleshooting easier, though thankfully I haven't had to do that yet. All electrons arriving at my terminal blocks continue to flow to their appointed destinations as originally intended.