- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Default New RV-12is builder Illinois side of St louis

Wanted to check in with the Air force. I have been a lurker for about a year and finally pulled the trigger on an rv-12 tail kit. A dream of mine for most of my life has started to come true. I became a pilot at 18 years old starting with gliders then into powered flight getting my PPL, then Instrument and Commercial with dreams of flying for the airlines. Then life and reality got in the way. I am 43 now and have flown on and off for the last 25 years. I am finally at a point where aircraft ownership is a possibility, and the vans line of aircraft has appealed to me since I can remember. I chose the 12 based on the mission I was wanting to do and also the time, money and skill I have to build.

I have a 36' X 30' heated and air conditioned garage in my back yard which has become a rv-12 factory for the next few years. I would really like to meet some other 12 builders / flyers in the area, mostly to show my wife that it is possible and I'm only slightly crazy for doing this. If anybody can recommend one of the EAA chapters in STL that they are a part of, it would give me a starting point to find other 12 owners.

Thanks in advance for all the help in future I am sure this site will provide
Jeff Shepherd

Here are some pics
Crate coming home

12 construction facility

Construction crew

Future Pilot

Already have a Vertical stab to be proud of (I'm the bald one)

Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 PM

Jeff: let me be the first to welcome you to VAF (that can be hard to do on this forum). And congrats on choosing to build a -12, a project I've jumped into as well. Looks like you've made an awesome start and it's great that you've got the family involved! Good luck on the project and keep the updates and pictures coming.

Doug
Seattle area
Old 08-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome aboard!

Jeff, welcome to VAF

Looks like you are making great progress.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Default Welcome

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the RV-12 builders club. We have one under construction at C09, Morris, IL. Empenage and wings done. we are working on the fuselage now. Feel free to look us up if your in the area.
Tech Councilor
Flight Adviser
RV 8, N812TE- flying
RV-12- building
R-22, R-44 flying
Titan T-51- building
Rotorway 162F flying
AVID MK IV- kids project
Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM

Talking

Jeff, my adventure started about 4 years ago...and I am just starting to enjoy my finished -12. Flew mine to Oshkosh this year..was a hoot.

The journey was fantastic (there will be bumps along the way); but the guys on this forum are outstanding! Enjoy every minute...will not be long before you are sitting in it making AC noises.

Best of luck..maybe..we'll bump into one another at a future fly-in!!

Ric
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Hi Jeff -
Welcome to the RV-12 family. We should arrange a visit at hanger 12, Sackman Field (H49) outside Columbia IL. My RV-12 has been flying five years and I love it. I would be delighted to have you visit and take you for a ride if you wish.
Bill T
Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Hi Jeff -
Welcome to the RV-12 family. We should arrange a visit at hanger 12, Sackman Field (H49) outside Columbia IL. My RV-12 has been flying five years and I love it. I would be delighted to have you visit and take you for a ride if you wish.
Bill T
Would love to do that sometime. A glider flying friend of mine has a Rans S6 or 7 ,not sure which, that he keeps there that I have wanted to see for a while just have not been able to get together in a while. I still work so weekends are my best bet. Let me know some saturday or sunday in the future I would love to check it out.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Congratulations, I'm based at St.Charles County KSET. Eaa chapter 32 is based on the field. I'm not sure how far that is for you but there is a few rv12s in our chapter including our plane. If you have any questions or need to look at anything on our plane give me a call 314856519eight.
Chuck
Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 PM

Welcome, Jeff. I've been building in my garage in west central Illinois for a little over a year. Tailcone finished, wings almost finished, fuselage on order. I work too and have young ones at home, so don't get to work on the project as often as I'd like. Good luck and you're welcome anytime if you're passing through the area. This forum is a great resource.
iS Fuselage on order

Farmer
Vol FF
2017 Dues Paid
Old 09-06-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Flying RV12

Jeff,
I finished my RV12 about 3 & 1/2 yrs ago & have about 130 hrs on it at this time. I am from Effingham, ILL. If you are up this way you are welcome to visit ride or whatever. Looks like you have plenty builders closer than me but you are sure welcome.
Thanks
Stan Bahrns
RV12 N618B
RV7-A N868B
RV12 40 hrs
Effingham,(southern) ILL