- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Default Day 10 (continued)

The fix was done just in time to see the AirCam's take off.

Their ground roll is amazing. Airborne in less than 100'.

Their climb rate was incredible also. All of the pilots told me they hadn't climbed higher than 500' AGL on their entire trip - where should they - it's an AirCam!

My weather forecast was severe CAVU for my entire trip home.

Lake Michigan always surprises me with how blue it is in the summer - looks like the Caribbean.

Flew by Chicago.

Once clear of the Chicago airspace I climbed up to 5,500. No real winds today - 2 kts on the tail here.

Let's see what happens up higher. 6 kts headwind at 9,500'.

EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com

Last edited by bullojm1 : 08-07-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Default Day 10 (continued)

As I leveled off at 9,500' I heard two loud POP noises. I scared the **** out of me. It took me a little bit to realize it was my chip bags busting open!

With that mystery solved, up to 11,500' to clear some clouds I went. I picked up a little tailwind up here.

11,500'....crazy....so high in something I put together in my garage. My RV continues to amaze me.

And my full track home - it couldn't of been any easier. Another great Oshkosh/Midwest adventure trip on the books. Love this airplane.
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 AM

Very nice write up Mike!.........Also, I enjoyed that beer party!...Maybe a little too much!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Build Blog http://mikesrv7.blogspot.com/
Dues Paid
Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Thumbs up

Great write up! Keep em' coming
Old 08-08-2017, 05:18 PM

Great trip report Mike...and as always, next beer is on me....but maybe for me
Beechrv9a@hotmail.com
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM

Excellent write up. A group of us arrived in that flock of aircraft Sat. afternoon maybe 30min ahead of you. Never have seen so many aircraft fighting for space at RIPON before - its amazing there were no incidents this year. Suspect fewer and fewer pilots are paying attention to the NOTAM as we saw aircraft left & right of the railway tracks, above and below 1,800 feet and several flying a lot slower than 90 kts making it incredibly difficult for the rest of us to adhere to the NOTAM. Controllers must loose a lot of sleep working OSHKOSH.
RV-12, N913BC
Hobbs over 390 hours and on second set of main tires!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 08-09-2017, 02:01 PM

Great writeup! Sounds like you really maximized the AirVenture experience. What time did you arrive on Saturday? We flew in right around 6 p.m. and traffic was very light...only 4 to 5 planes converging on Ripon in the immediate area. The farther you zoom out on the GPS, the scarier it looks!
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2017
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM

Thumbs up

Mike thanks. You are the Master of Trip Writeups. Seriously man you got a talent every trip is written in one shot unlike us draggers. As soon as I start reading I can't stop till done. Was late to work today blamed you. And Bob Hoover

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullojm1 View Post
When they opened up the approach again, it was pure mayhem. Hundreds of airplanes were headed directly for the town of Ripon. CJ and I found some space to get in line before Ripon - however, it was TIGHT. The plane in front of me started to slow down to 70 kts. A highwing passed 50' under me. I could tell CJ had enough as he pealed off. I stuck with it a little longer, and then the controllers told everyone to peel off and rejoin at Ripon due to too many airplanes being between RIPON and FISK. I came back around and found a nice hole to rejoin at RIPON. No sooner was I following the tracks when someone was flying DIRECTLY TOWARDS ME, the opposite direction of everyone else - maybe 100' below me. The approach this time was much better in terms of spacing. The controllers were doing a good job of peeling everyone off between 27 and 36. However, before I got to FISK, they stopped doing 27 approaches and everyone was to land 36. On the base for 36 everyone was very SLOW. I was down to 65 kts. The controller for 36 couldn't keep up with all of the traffic. For some reason, everyone was landing 36R even though there was no specific instruction given. I looked left and right and didn't see anyone for the 36L approach, so I took it. I landed long and rolled off the end of it. I wasn't about to put myself in danger with the cluster that was happening on 36R.
Yikes!!! Too dangerous for me. I last flew in 5 years ago in my RV-7, but now park at Racine or Kenosha and rent a car.

Enjoyed your write-up.

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Default Missed Black Otter

Had a great time, Mike glad to see you and John again, don't ever act your age. Always great to meet so many new people from around the world. Next year I plan to be there all week so I won't miss the Black Otter.
760 hr
Stoughton, WI
Formally of Lafayette, IN