- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Day 4 (continued)

Some of the MD boys (Bruce and Bill) and Frank and I.

The beer event ended, but we were still hungry and ready for a little more action. Shouldn't be any surprise where we ended up.

The band Hyde was excellent.

I was able to score a nice hat for my new South African friends, Arie and Kian, found in Captain Johns's backpack!

The stumble home from SOS brothers was about normal to include the shimmy under the gate.
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Day 5

I wanted to get a look at GRT's new HUD. Wow! What a bright screen. I tried to talk to some of the staff from GRT, but the booth was mobbed. Their stuff seemed to be a hit!

I took a look at the new RV-12is.

This Just Aircraft Super STOL with the Viking engine and a 5-blade Whirlwind propeller looks like a fun airplane! It really stands out on the ground.

Camp Bullock/CJ for the week.

CJ introduced me to his friend Jack from Massachusetts. CJ nicknamed Jack's RV-9A as the "Millennium Falcon" because of his instrument panel. GRT EFIS, Garmin 696, Dynon D10, Zaon XRX, Stormscope, GNS430, etc.. The list went on and on of all of the avionics he had installed.

I ran into Ulf and his colleagues from Sweden again, but this time they came with 12 beers from Sweden they shipped over just fior me. Thanks Ulf!!!

Next up was dinner at Roxy's in town. This place was fantastic. Great food and very reasonable prices. CJ , however, wasn't feeling up to dinner and elected to nap in the car. We think he had a little too much fun as SOS last night.

I got to finally meet Kevin Johnson (Callsign YaDude) - CJ's friend from Massachusetts and proprietor of the website http://www.kevinsrv7.com/. This was his longest flight ever in his RV and first time at Oshkosh with it.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 PM

Default Day 6

We woke up to a cool overcast day on Wednesday morning. YaDude is waiting form judges to come around to get his RV-7 critiqued.

I stopped by the Dallas Avionics / NavWorx booth and spoke with Scott Davis about my options with my ADS600-EXP ADS-B Transceiver.

NavWorx came out with a "backpack" GPS receiver. Installation is very simple and straightforward. The "backpack" plugs into the DB9 connector on the original unit, and the old DB9 connector plugs into the GPS "backpack". The only other change needed is the GPS antenna plugs into the "backpack" instead of the ADS600-EXP box. Both Scott and Bill Moffitt were very much behind continuing to support this unit and make it legal again.

Next up was some Hypoxia training at the FAA booth.

We were entered into a chamber where the oxygen level was about 1/2 of what it at at sea level, simulating roughly 28,000'. The purpose of this is for pilots to know how they react when put into a hypoxia situation. Like alcohol, hypoxia affects everyone a little differently. The purpose of this was to experience and recognize 3 signs of hypoxia. I highly recommend all pilots go through this. The staff at the FAA was extremely professional and great instructors.

Playing "Paddy Cake" with Larry after 4 minutes in the changes the my O2 level nearing 60%.

After all of that training, we were all hungry. Time for the annual RivetBangers.com prime rib dinner at the Block Otter Supper Club. We had quite the crew this year!

Arie and Kian joined us and had a blast!

EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Day 6 (continued)

Painless trying to figure out how to get out of speeding tickets with Eric the sheriff. I don't think he got any good pointer....

This picture was coined "Beavis and Butthead" on Facebook by an unknown funnyman.

CJ is not impressed with WI's hack of Clam Chowder.

18 of us chowing down on perfectly cooked prime rib.

Brian is a happy camper!

Ha! http://www.RivetBangers.com strike again!

No one leave the Black Otter hungry!
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Day 6 (continued)

Clearly common sense is not so common. Chad found out the hard way!
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Day 7

We got a little rain on Wednesday night. It was easy to pick out the boys from the men when it came to preparedness for weather! CJ's RV-7 doubled nicely for a drying rack.

We decided to do another pass at the Hypoxia chamber knowing what to expect.

We were the first ones in on Thursday morning and the simulated altitude was 28,000'. Another good experience. It was great to go back and to know what to expect.

Arie and Kian stopped by as I was closing down camp. Kian has one heck of an RV grin!!

All packed up and ready to head our own ways. Just like last year, I am heading out to Minneapolis, MN to visit some college friends.

Cya Oshkosh!

It was a great day to fly. Beautiful puffy WI clouds filled the skies.

Even a little tailwind heading west. Gotta love it.

Rock star packing at Flemming Field (KSGS). Definitely a great, friendly FBO.

I had a great day catching up with my friends from MSP. As you can tell, they're perfectly normal and well grounded....not.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Day 8

Once again the weather gods were smiling upon me - another beautiful, perfect flying day. This is a view of the Mississippi river just south of KSGS.

Hmmmph, my #2 CHT seems quite low.

After some diagnostics, I concluded it was most likely the sensor gone back...again. This sucker was just replaced in the fall for the same cylinder.

Passing by the small town of Webster City, IO

And approaching Ankeny Regional Airport (KIKV).
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 PM

Default Day 9

I had a wonderful with visiting my college friend Rene and his lovely wife Monika in Des Moines. Their son has a thing for airplanes and we all got a kick out of him flipping switches on my airplane and touching the control surfaces.

Off I head east, direction of the guaranteed tailwinds....except today. 7 kts on the nose! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! I knew I didn't feed the wind gods enough Pirate Coffee at Oshkosh!

The trip back east wasn't very long today. I was going to refuel in Burlington, WI (KBUU) and then head down to Westosha (5K6) to meet up with my friend "Rose" for some pontoon fun at her lake house.

Back over the Mississippi crossing into Illinois. This could be the first time this trip my airplane has overflown the Land of Lincoln.

ADS-B traffic showed a scatter of some traffic heading back from Oshkosh looking to fuel up on the cheap at KBUU also.

I hit KBUU at the right time! I was able to pull directly up to the pumps without anyone in front of me. On takeoff, someone on the ground let me know my right gear leg looked like it had a good shimmy as I taxied by. I thanked the guy and figured I'd look at it on the ground. The flight to Westosha was a quick one as it's only 5 or so RV minutes south of Burlington.

Wait..let's get a closet look at that track. Yup, it took me 3 tried to land at Westosha. The wind was gusty direct crosswind from the south-east, and it created some interested bubbles as it passed by tall trees and an assortment of hangars right around the landing threshold. On the third attempt I was worried I might not be able to make it!

Tied down for the night I was happy to be on the ground!
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Default Day 9 (continued)

"Rose" and I had a wonderful day out on Powers Lake.

We had a real treat when around 7pm 4 hot air balloons came in our direction.

We quickly fired up the pontoon board and joined in on the fun.

Simply an amazing day! The hot air balloons were the icing on the cake to a perfect day. Love this lake and all it offers every year I come to visit.
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 08-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Default Day 10

Another perfect flying day today! As I was dropped off at Westosha Airport, I saw 3 AirCam's parked there! Wow, I haven't seen this many AirCam's in once place since 3 days ago at Oshkosh! But why are they all gathered here at 5K6? The fuel is only available to club members? I walked around the airport and found all of the AirCam guys gathered around an AirCam in a hangar that had a hard landing on the water. The 3 AirCam's belonged to the factory and they were on their way home from Oshkosh and stopped by here to evaluate the AirCam in need of help. I was in heaven - this is my next build, and to have so many around unexpectedly was just a delight. They had every configuration I could think of - floats, tundra tires, canopy, fuel injected and carburetor.

Nice glass on all of them - Almost all of them had Dynon HDX EFIS's.

Those AirCam's definitely don't make my RV look exciting!

Hmmmm, on preflight I discovered what the guy at Burlington was talking about with my right wheelpant being loose. The screw I had holding it on had pulled through.

Hmm, and a fiberglass spacer fell out when I took the wheelpants off.

Luckily all of this was remedied by some blue painters take and some #8 washers I was able to find around some of the airport hangars.
EAA Technical Counselor