- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Default Super Track vs Tip up/Slider mod

While I'm in the finishing portion of my build (about three years now), I'm considering adding mods as opposed to doing them to a completed plane. So far I'm adding a smoke system (hidden tank) and the "almost RV 14" seat mod.

I was going for the award tip up slider when I discovered the super track system. Looks like the purpose for both is cargo access. Is one better or easier to install than the other?

Those who have seem or used both, what do you think? Pros, cons.

I look forward to hearing what you fine folks have to say

Joe

Perpetual Builder
Old 07-28-2017, 10:33 AM

I can't speak to the tip-up/slider mod but I have Super Track installed and love it. Our EAA Chapter http://eaa21.org hosts a monthly First Saturday Fly-In and I bring the food for the event. Coolers and bags of food are easily loaded and unloaded while standing on the ramp beside the plane.
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier?
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21

Last edited by newtech : 07-28-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM

I have the Meske tip-up slider mod on mine. Hugely improves luggage access. Rather than rooting for one over the other, I'd say pick which ever design you like and do it. The access improvement is worth it.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 PM

I just finished installing supertracks as part of a new build, simple and sturdy. If you are still in the build process you can save a few bucks and delete the track extension from the kit and order an RV8 spine track from Vans then you won't have to splice the track.

Jake
Old 07-28-2017, 05:11 PM

I have the slider tip up mod now. Talked with Fly Boys at OSH. Thinking now about converting to the super track mod. My current slider tip up works good but I do believe the super track will work better for my needs. Will keep you updated if I make the swirch.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 07-28-2017, 05:38 PM

I put the 14 mod in first and then hit the canopy getting in and out. The super track fixed that.

Last edited by dougmattson : 07-29-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 PM

Forget the kits.

Notch the slider track, exactly the width of the block. Slightly taper leads on the notch edges and block edges.

V-notch the rails 11.5" back from the roll bar, about a 60 degree included angle.

Drill out skirt brace/tube rivet. Make a prop rod. Drill a hole in the nylon pin block.

Takes about 1 1/2 hours depending on if the parts are installed or not, plus time to study the monkey motion and get comfortable with positioning the cuts.

Being able to tip the slider for baggage access convinced a friend a -14 was not for him with its difficult baggage access.

John Siebold

Last edited by RV7ator : 07-28-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ator View Post
Forget the kits.

Notch the slider track, exactly the width of the block. Slightly taper leads on the notch edges.

V-notch the rails 11.5" back from the roll bar, about a 60 degree included angle.

Drill out a rivet in the skirt. Make a prop rod. Drill a hole in the nylon pin block.

Takes about 1 1/2 hours depending on if the parts are installed or not, plus time to study the monkey motion and get comfortable with positioning the cuts.

Being able to tip the slider for baggage access convinced a friend a -14 was not for him with its difficult baggage access.

John Siebold
John. This sounds very interesting and I am trying to visualize the process in my head. Do you have a build log or any photos available for this mod? Thanks. Dave

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2017
Old 07-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ator View Post
Forget the kits.

Notch the slider track, exactly the width of the block. Slightly taper leads on the notch edges and block edges.

Drill out skirt brace/tube rivet. Make a prop rod. Drill a hole in the nylon pin block.

John Siebold
+1 for pics. How does the front of the canopy pivot on the stock rollers?
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 07-29-2017, 09:04 AM

Default +2 for the photos/drawing

This really sounds like a good alternative to a pricey kit. Have been putting off buying the Super Tracks and this may be the solution I've been looking for.
Based at KZPH
AA4SR