- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2017, 03:54 PM

Default Magnetometer Location

I'm up to my ears in the empennage/tailcone build, but I thought it would be prudent to consider installing any hardware/wiring harnesses/brackets at this stage for future avionics capabilities rather than waiting until when it will be harder to crawl back there. My C180 has Garmin avionics so I plan to stick with what I know (Garmin) when I have my panel built for the -14. Therefore I thought a call to Stein Air was in order. After chatting with them I learned that some folks install their magnetometer in the fuselage, and others in a wing. For the life of me I can't see an argument for one over the other. Can someone share with me their logic for choosing fuselage vs wing? I understand that I don't actually have to buy the magnetometer now if I choose to put it in the fuselage, rather I can simply install the mounting ring and wires. Still, if it makes more sense to mount in a wing then I'd rather wait until I'm at that stage.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:57 PM

The RV-14 wing kit comes with a cool ADHARS mount that goes in the left wing. It is designed for a SkyView module (or two modules) to slide in an clip in place. I believe the also fit the Garmin ADHARS modules but do not know for fact.

Carl
Old 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM

Certainly no expert here, but from my understanding there is more ferrous metal in the fuselage than in the wing in most aircraft. I think it's easier to find a clear area in the wing. But it's probable easier to mount and run the connections in the fuselage.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:30 PM

I built a bracket to fit inside the longitudinal brace between the baggage bulkhead and the roll bar. Pretty far from all ferrous components.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM

Clay,

According to Van's avionics letter from last summer (https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/let...s_P9_Final.pdf) they are working on a GMU 22 magnetometer mounting kit that will allow you to install the Garmin magnetometer in the ADAHRS mounting platform in the left wing (the platform is already part of the standard wing kit). It's my understanding that Vans performed the Garmin magnetometer survey on the RV-14A and found this location to be a good one, and Mitch Lock also told me that he's had good magnetometer performance in the G3X-equipped RV-14A demo plane.

There are several advantages to using the wing-mounted location. It's already been designed for you (with a mount that is level and aligned with the aircraft longitudinal axis) so there's nothing to invent, fabricate from scratch, or mess around with alignment concerns. It has already been surveyed for you so it's a known quantity with respect to performance. It may also be lighter weight than an aft-fuselage installation depending on how it is done.
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 01-07-2017, 01:36 AM

I put my magnetometer in the wing for a few reasons.

It plugs straight in to the supplied wiring for the wing.
Supposedly less interference.
The less I have to do in the tail the better - I just don't fit.
The ADAHARS mount is there ready to use.
That's the way the Vans team did it.

Having said that I wish I had made the magnetometer mount that slips in the ADAHARS mount before I closed the wing. It would have been much easier. When Vans make that part available that won't be a problem for others.
RV-14 #140181
Flying 5th January 2017
50+hours now
Old 01-07-2017, 07:32 AM

I bought the magnetometer bracket from Garmin and riveted it to the ADAHARS mount in the left wing before closing up the wing. 3 or 4 screws to install the magnetometer through the inspection hole (or wing root), plug into the wing harness provided.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, Phase I compl Apr 3, 2017
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 12/2016
Old 01-07-2017, 12:48 PM

As Mark said, I have the GMU22 mounted in the left wing, as per plans, and have had flawless performance from it.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Easy to re-use the ADHRS location

It's pretty easy to adapt the ADHRS mount in the left wing for the GMU-22. It's also fits nicely with the Van's wiring. The Garmin part you need is:

Garmin GMU-44 Universal Mount Kit P/N: 011-01779-01

You can find them on ebay brand new for pretty cheap. However I would recommend getting your hands on the GMU-22, or at least the mounting ring that comes with it prior to closing up the wing. The mounting ring (included with the GMU-22) needs to be riveted to the Garmin bracket, which is riveted to the ADHRS bracket. I can take some pictures of my install and send them to you if it would be helpful.
RV-14A (140328) - Empennage Complete, Wings Complete, Fuselage Complete, Finish Kit In Progress
RV-7A (N211WJ) Flying since 2009 (SOLD)
RV-7A (N132RD) bought flying 2014 (SOLD)

KRYY (McCollum Airport)
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jmsolomon2000

RV-14 Build Log: http://rv14.jaredsolomon.net
Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Default Wing mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLock View Post
As Mark said, I have the GMU22 mounted in the left wing, as per plans, and have had flawless performance from it.
Mitch - is there a section in the plans that describes using the AHARS mount for the GMU22? My wings are fully skinned but I believe there is plenty of access room to do whatever I need to do. Mainly curious if adding the GMU mount is an easy task and if I can source the materials from Vans.

Jared - just saw your post as I was finishing mine. I'll PM you my email if you wouldn't mind sending pictures of the mount.

Thanks, James
T-Bolt IO-390
Maule MX7-180