Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2015, 09:34 PM

Thank you all for your kind replies and suggestions.

I have received my fuselage kit last July 30th. Now with the parts in my hands, I can better see the mods. Most of them I shall implement prior to even assembly any parts.

So far, I've been very active on my kit. If you want to follow my progress, just check my thread once in a while about RV-8 s/n 80414.

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414
Kitlog: http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/
Empennage: 95% (ready for inspection)
Fuselage: 90% (Canoe 2.0 in progress- Final Riveting)
Wings: Slow Build Wing Kit on the way from Van's - Delivery End Nov 17.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 PM

Great tips and advice in this thread! Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.
VAF Dues Paid 2017
Old 01-23-2017, 04:59 AM

I would install a bracket to support a ratcheting seat belt in addition to the standard front seat belt.
RV-8, "Miss Izzy", 2100+ RV Hours
Track Me
VAF 2017 Donor
"He who demands everything that his aircraft can give him is a pilot; he that demands one iota more is a fool."
Old 07-13-2017, 03:05 PM

Some of these mods sound really interesting and I would be interested in including them on my aircraft once finished. However, I am contemplating going with the quick build fuselage. How many of these mods are realistically possible or worth the effort with a quick build fuse?
Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 PM

Default RV-8

I would add a battery access panel to the package shelf and the after part of the Rear baggage. Actually I had Dennis Millsap help me with this, since I'm getting pretty old! He did a nice job I think, with just 2 hinge pins to access, and it's quite secure. Since the idler arm for the elevator circuit is right under the Package shelf, I think it's very important that any access panel be quite sturdy.
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 07-15-2017, 10:24 PM

Default Fuse Mods: Quick Build vs Slow Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cross View Post
Some of these mods sound really interesting and I would be interested in including them on my aircraft once finished. However, I am contemplating going with the quick build fuselage. How many of these mods are realistically possible or worth the effort with a quick build fuse?
Hello Dale,

Your question is vary valid, and it comes down to advantages of both the Quickbuild fuselage over the Slowbuild. I started this thread two years ago with no clue about building a RV-8 fuselage. I am now in final stages of building my fuselage. I've gain a lot of knowledge building my -8 fuselage.

Despite taking a lot more time to build, the main advantage of the slow build over the quickbuild, it is that with a lot of planning, you can incorporate mods, design improvements or avionics bracketry at a stage where it is easy to assemble. The same is not true with Quickbuilds, as access is probably limited. Example, I am currently installing my bracket for the Garmin autopilot servo while I still have the parts on the workbench, not when the fuselage is entirely built. Thousand time more easy !

As per your question for the mods discussed here:

1) Landing Gear Tower mods: doable on a quickbuild, but will be very challenging
2) Avionic Access Door in Bulkhead F866B-1: That shall be easy. This bulkhead is not yet attached to the canoe when you receive your quickbuild fuselage
3) Fastback, same as the bulkhead above. the upper aft fuselage is not assembled on the quickbuilt canoe. You can still purchase the Fastback option and install it if you like
4) Andair Fuel Valve: A must...when you get the fuel valve delivered with the kit in your hands, you will place an order for an Andair fuel valve for sure....That said, adding the nutplate on longeron F844 for the new valve bracket you will make maybe challenging as the longeron is already riveted in place. On the slowbuild, you just take the longeron to your work table and make all the needed holes...easy !
5) No mod, but I was glad I had a slow build fuselage....Making all the fuel and brake lines, and bending them to shape. I can't imagine doing this with a completed quickbuild fuselage. It was already challenging to do with just the forward fuselage fully open, no skins on the sides. I didn't have to bend or twist myself to get in the little corner of fuselage to make nice fuel lines.

Anyhow, that is just a quick summary. Once I am done with my fuselage this upcoming fall, I will share here with pictures most of the mods and improvement I have done to my fuselage.

I don't regret at all going the Slowbuild route over the quickbuild for the fuselage. If I do this again someday, my choice would still be slowbuild fuselage, and quickbuild wings, no doubt about it.
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 07-31-2017, 12:39 PM

Mods, any chance of making this a sticky at the top of this forum???
VAF Dues Paid 2017
Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 AM

Default Extra conduit

I haven't read all of the post so someone may have already mentioned this but I would run an extra empty conduit under the floor right and left side so if you have to run wires later to add or update something electrical you will have a path to do it. This has been a problem for me. For example we just added ADSB in/out and I wasn't able to run the wires the way I wanted to because I have no access under the cockpit floor. To me this is a must have.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyenforfun View Post
I haven't read all of the post so someone may have already mentioned this but I would run an extra empty conduit under the floor right and left side so if you have to run wires later to add or update something electrical you will have a path to do it. This has been a problem for me. For example we just added ADSB in/out and I wasn't able to run the wires the way I wanted to because I have no access under the cockpit floor. To me this is a must have.
Running an extra empty conduit is a valid idea...At the same time, if you make your floor panel removable, replacing pop rivets with nut plates and screw at each floor panel attachment location, that underfloor accessibility would never be an issue. Simply unscrew the floor to gain full access to the under structure seat ribs.

Yes this mods takes time during assembly, but it is highly worth it during aircraft service life.
RV-8 s/n #80414