Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 PM

Is there a reason to think the quadrant will not be available later? I am just working on the empennage, but would also prefer a quadrant.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:49 PM

After Tim did all that great pioneering work I reckon there would be a rush for existing stock. Pretty sure the supplier will get out of bed earlier to make sure there is plenty of stock.
The quadrant without the cables part number is:
CT 10-3 $352.50 had to order direct and not through the online section.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 PM

Ordered mine today, now to order the rest of the parts. Thanks Tim
Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 PM

I had a whole reply typed up but somehow I must have hit the wrong button and it got lost. Here goes again...

The whole quadrant thing is pretty easy to install. The only caution I'd make sure you understand is that my prop governor cable isn't routed per plans. So don't copy my cable lengths unless you are going to drill the same hole and use an eyeball in the firewall in the same spot as I did. If I were doing it again I'd move it up 1/2", but that would mean a longer cable. If you have an extra inch of cable, that's a LOT...these things are very stiff. So you want to get the measurement pretty darn close. I think before I offered to send one of my cables to you if you want to use it to measure for your own cable lengths. Just send it back or to the next guy who needs it when you're done. Once a couple other people install it, I'll feel more comfortable that it'll all work well for you. If someone routes the Prop cable per-plans with a quadrant, post what cable length you used so that others can know that too.

Also, if you plan to go with a quadrant, there's really no need to get it before your FWF kit. I would order it when you order FWF components. Install it before you put the upper forward skin on. The only other thing that could get you stuck is that center pedestal to the subpanel. Check out this photo:

You'll notice that the center of that pedestal is all cut away. That's to give clearance for the quadrant and cables to route out. If you KNOW you'll do a quadrant you can cut that ahead of time. Otherwise, maybe just don't rivet it in until you fit the quadrant. There's no reason you can't rivet it in later...especially if you use pop rivets or screws. That way you can sort of do this whole install at once.

With the FWF kit, you should get most or all of the rod ends you need, so you just need to exclude the push-pull cables, buy those yourself, and get a quadrant and clevis' and clevis pins. Buy yourself 100 quantity of cotter pins and light washers in all sizes from spruce because you can always use more cotter pins and washers. Then you'll have everything you need to do the install (other than the eyeball passthrough if you do that too). I really like how the eyeball passes through the cable.

So good luck, and if someone else does install one, post back how it goes. When you're all done I'm betting you love it.

One other small tip:
When you buy the quadrant, it tends to make an aluminum sliding noise when you move the levers. On both planes, I cut small pieces of UHMW tape and stuck them to the levers, right where it rubs the slot. This cuts out any scraping noise. It's a real smooth quadrant.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 05-04-2016, 05:07 AM

Beginner question - can you get the preciseness of settings with the quadrant versus the vernier push/pull controls?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 AM

Some people believe you can get more.... some people believe you get less.

One thing for sure is it is not needed (particularly for formation... proof comes from the fact that probably 99% of the side by side RV's used for formation have a standard push/pull control) but is an option depending on preference.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 PM

Tim , I hope your getting a commission as the Hartzell universal arms are now on back order, (app. four weeks out).
Old 05-04-2016, 05:07 PM

Sorry about the Hartzell Arms, Ron. I only ordered 1.

Regarding the precision, I have no problem getting to within the 10RPM resolution that my EIS displays. I fly my RV-10 most often at 2360rpm. Not 2350, not 2370. It's easy to pinpoint the RPM. The mixture is the same way. It's very easy to put it exactly where you want it. One very nice feature is, you have a built-in hand wrest. So when you're adjusting, you brace your hand on the quadrant and then just squeeze the appropriate fingers slightly and you can put it just where you want it.
There is a tension adjustment on the side. I don't use it much. I keep it just tight enough to keep things from moving on their own.

Tim
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 05-05-2016, 12:34 AM

I'm curious as to why formation groups want a quadrant?

I've got a reasonable amount of formation experience. Most of it in Cessnas with vernier controls. Some in Pipers with quadrants.

I would much prefer a vernier control in formation flying than a quadrant. I feel I have much better control on the throttle in a vernier set-up than a quadrant.

Thanks
Building an RV-14 - No. 140239
EAA - #1130849
SAAA Chapter 22 - #08129
www.Rv-14A.net
www.facebook.com/iansrv14a
Old 05-05-2016, 01:40 AM

I'm only getting it coz it looks cool. As far as preferred option I have none... you just use whatever is in the aircraft.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!