VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Default AvMap Ultra EFIS

Does anyone have any experience with the AvMap Ultra EFIS? It looks like a pretty cool unit.

http://www.avmap.us/avionics/instruments/UltraEFIS
Glasair Sportsman (Bought disassembled, now flying)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 PM

I played with one at Osh.

This thing has an awesome AHRS in it. No matter how hard or fast I tried and even using my bag of tricks, I could not tumble this thing. The sales guy said he never has seen anyone try so hard to tumble a demo unit.

I was simply amazed. The response rate of this thing is phenomenal .

The screen was nice an bright. They told me it was transflective.

It was very light weight and requires little space behind the unit.

Now for the bad stuff:

The graphics are butt ugly. They need work!

They don't fit a standard cutout...not sure why the heck they did not make em fit a standard hole....they are close however.

The knob seemed cheap. Seems like I remember that it had a pigtail and not a normal Dshell connector. I did not like the air data connectors either. They look like cheese!

To reiterate, I have never seen an experimental AHRS that can match this things response rate and saturation limits. Have no idea how it will perform in the real world but it looked promising in the demo booth!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook

Last edited by Brantel : 09-17-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Default Silly engineering

Turns out the diameter of the round part is just larger than the standard, 3 1/8" and the hole pattern for screws is different as well. So this is not a simple replacement of an AI upgrade.
Just FYI.
Still might be a good EFIS for a fresh design.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit View Post
Turns out the diameter of the round part is just larger than the standard, 3 1/8" and the hole pattern for screws is different as well. So this is not a simple replacement of an AI upgrade.
Just FYI.
Still might be a good EFIS for a fresh design.
Yes, strange for a product for sale here in the states...
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit View Post
Turns out the diameter of the round part is just larger than the standard, 3 1/8" and the hole pattern for screws is different as well.
This fact alone could kill the unit's fleet viability. The panel has to be cut specifically for this device, and once cut, can never be used for another. Strange why the manufacturer would limit the market in that way.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 PM

Apparently the market for which this was designed has a different standard.

At least that is what they said.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 PM

The 3 1/8" hole is only "kinda" standard. I've got a round hole for the ASI, a round hole with a corner cut out for the ALT, and a round hole with two corners cutout for the TruTrak ADI Pilot II. Standards aren't really so standard after all. Opening a hole up a bit isn't a really huge deal.

What is a huge deal is getting an EFIS with ADAHARS AND GPS for $1200. Dynon take note!

In response to Brantel's comments on the graphics, I wonder who we should bug to get a youtube video of this thing in action so we can take a look-see for ourselves?

BTW, I'm holding my breath for the GRT Mini - and hoping it will come in at nearly the same price point, then I can ditch my ADI Pilot II, install a Mini, and VSVG flat pack controller and have full GPSS + VNAV while keeping my backup attitude indication, and adding a second backup ASI & ALT! If this plan doesn't work then I'll be looking long and hard at the AvMap Ultra as my backup instrumentation.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
In response to Brantel's comments on the graphics, I wonder who we should bug to get a youtube video of this thing in action so we can take a look-see for ourselves?
I have asked Ryan Deck to do one for ACS. He has had some stock on these so I think he will.

Can tell you that all the marketing data has conflicting images of what we should expect for graphics. The one on display at Osh was a bit different than what I see in the documents.

I would be curious what the final version looked like so I would love to see a video as well.

Since this thing is being developed and mainly marketed in Europe, I doubt we can expect to have much impact on future software revisions like we do here with Garmin, GRT, Dynon, TTFS etc. I would expect less for support as well. It took em over 3 weeks to respond to a simple request for info via email. Something to keep in mind...
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
What is a huge deal is getting an EFIS with ADAHARS AND GPS for $1200. Dynon take note!

BTW, I'm holding my breath for the GRT Mini - and hoping it will come in at nearly the same price point, then I can ditch my ADI Pilot II, install a Mini, and VSVG flat pack controller and have full GPSS + VNAV while keeping my backup attitude indication, and adding a second backup ASI & ALT! If this plan doesn't work then I'll be looking long and hard at the AvMap Ultra as my backup instrumentation.
I am also keeping an eye on this, would love to replace my TT ADI with a mini EFIS. Something with a real AHRS but smaller and cheaper than a D6.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 11-13-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I am also keeping an eye on this, would love to replace my TT ADI with a mini EFIS. Something with a real AHRS but smaller and cheaper than a D6.
Walt, I played with one of these in my hand for about 30 minutes at Osh and I have to say that I was impressed. The AHRS in this thing is amazing. I could not tumble it no matter how hard I tried.

The unit is very light weight and small behind the panel. Not real fond of the connectors and air data fittings. The unit feels sort of cheap in your hand but heck it is a $1200 full fledged EFIS with a GPS!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)