VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Brian, the WIFI (and Bluetooth) adapter broadcast FIS-B and TIS-B just fine, as long as they are connected to Display 1. When I first wired the ADS600-B I had the Bluetooth adapter wired to Display 1 and the WIFI adapter wired to Display 2. I had a **** of a time trying to understand why Display 2 didn't output TIS-B, and phoned Bill, who insisted I must have WingX misconfigured. He was adamant that "Display 2 absolutely was broadcasting TIS-B if it said it was on the status screen". After a lot of rewiring, swapping Bluetooth to Display 2 and WIFI to Display 1, trying multiple iPad and Android devices, I was comfortable in knowing that the Display 2 routine had a software bug. Bill conceded as much a short time later and it has supposedly been fixed and will show up in the next firmware release.

In the mean time, I had two devices and thought I'd go ahead and put the switch in so I could at least select Bluetooth or WIFI, whichever suited me best at any given time. I do like bluetooth better, because my tablet auto connects to wifi in my hangar, and for me to connect to the ADS600-B, I must manually disconnect from the hangar WIFI and connect to the ADS600-B. This also happens every time I walk out to the plane if it is next to an FBO with an open WIFI.

Bluetooth and WIFI both worked perfectly with WingX on my iPAD AIR and on various Android tablets with various software, including WingX. I no longer have an iOS device, but I went out to the plane a few days ago and verified that WingX on the Android does work perfectly and shows traffic when the Navworx console software is simulating traffic.

I can't figure out how to attach a document to this message but Bill sent me some instructions back when he thought I was configuring WingX Pro incorrectly. I have posted it here for your review. Hope it helps and good luck!
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshan130 View Post
John - Have you gotten your WiFi Adapter to broadcast FIS-B and TIS-B?

I am using WingXPro and for some reason it doesn't seem to be communicating correctly. I appear to be getting some weather data but no traffic...can't really make sense of the "Connectivity" screen in WingXPro.

WIFI adapter connected to DISPLAY 1 TX
MX-20 connected to RX422 TX/RX and works fine with weather and traffic

Thx for posting your wiring diagram..I should have thought about wiring the Display1 thru a DPDT switch like you did. That way I could select my EFIS as a display output as well!

Regards,
Brian
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM

John,

Thanks very much for the detailed response. Will check it out next time I get to the hangar!
Old 09-12-2017, 06:04 AM

We've received update AMOCs from the FAA this morning.

I received an update one that now includes the Garmin 625, 635, 650, 725, and 740.

Phil's was updated to add the 200-0012, which was omitted on the original AMOC for the Garmin 480. This would allow support for RS-232 connections in addition to ARINC.

I haven't spoken with Ralph yet this morning, but I suspect that he received approvals for the 4xx/5xx family as well.

Please give AOPA a couple days to get these posted to their web site.

If you have any questions, please send email and not a PM.

thanks,

bob
Old 09-13-2017, 01:18 PM

John,

I noticed in your FAA letter you said that you have installed V5 firmware to your 200-013 Navworx 600B. I have looked everywere on the Navworx website and cannot find the download for the Version 5 UAT Console. Can you send me a link to where you got yours?

Thanks

Jim Faber
Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfaber View Post
John,

I noticed in your FAA letter you said that you have installed V5 firmware to your 200-013 Navworx 600B. I have looked everywere on the Navworx website and cannot find the download for the Version 5 UAT Console. Can you send me a link to where you got yours?

Thanks

Jim Faber
The three published Global AMOCs by Ralph, Phil, and myself that are being distributed by AOPA were written to include 5.0 when it's released. Navworx hasn't released it publicly yet to my knowledge.

I have asked Bill for a copy to test, since my AMOC specifically includes future versions of the software. For whatever reasons, Bill has not responded to my requests. I'm anxious to get a copy since it fixes the Display Port 2 issue, or at least that is what I've been previously told by Bill.

bob
Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
John,

Thanks

Jim Faber
Good catch Jim and I wish I could send you a link. The FAA letter doesn't say I installed V5, but the logbook entry, which I also included as an FYI, does. When I saw that V5 wasn't required by the AMOC, I changed the logbook entry, dropping the V5 reference, since it wasn't available and the AMOC would legalize me in perpetuity without ever having to update the firmware, if that is what it comes down to.

As far as V5, I check at least 5 web forums, Dallas Avionics, and Navworx web and Facebook sites almost daily, looking for V5. And every day, every week, and every month, I continue to be disappointed, especially when new Johnny-come-lately products come to market with FAA approval in what appears to be less overall project time than Navworx has had since their AD mess started. This whole affair has been painful simply because of endless, needless waiting with false expectations, poor explanations and even poorer communications.

I really love the ADS600-B and cannot think of a better product for my needs, but next to the AOL Time Warner merger, I can't think of a better example of how to destroy a business.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I have asked Bill for a copy to test, since my AMOC specifically includes future versions of the software. For whatever reasons, Bill has not responded to my requests.

I'd imagine he's a bit gun-shy Bob, releasing a product into the wild that hasn't been FAA blessed. It might help to offer to sign an NDA or whatever he feels comfortable with.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Default Just in from Dallas Avionics/ Navworx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAJohnson View Post
Good catch Jim and I wish I could send you a link. The FAA letter doesn't say I installed V5, but the logbook entry, which I also included as an FYI, does. When I saw that V5 wasn't required by the AMOC, I changed the logbook entry, dropping the V5 reference, since it wasn't available and the AMOC would legalize me in perpetuity without ever having to update the firmware, if that is what it comes down to.

As far as V5, I check at least 5 web forums, Dallas Avionics, and Navworx web and Facebook sites almost daily, looking for V5. And every day, every week, and every month, I continue to be disappointed, especially when new Johnny-come-lately products come to market with FAA approval in what appears to be less overall project time than Navworx has had since their AD mess started. This whole affair has been painful simply because of endless, needless waiting with false expectations, poor explanations and even poorer communications.

I really love the ADS600-B and cannot think of a better product for my needs, but next to the AOL Time Warner merger, I can't think of a better example of how to destroy a business.
Hi John,
I spoke with Scott Edwards from Dallas Avionics/Navworx yesterday and he confirmed that Version 5 was not out yet but would be "Soon". I asked him what V5 would do that V4.1 doesnt and he said "only that it would now automatically look for an external GPS source instead of having to configure it manually in 4.1" He and I both agreed that the GTN650 AMOC does not specify V5 but recommended that I install it when available. In the meantime he agreed that I was "good to go" with V4.1 for FAA approval.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Hi John,
I spoke with Scott Edwards from Dallas Avionics/Navworx yesterday and he confirmed that Version 5 was not out yet but would be "Soon". I asked him what V5 would do that V4.1 doesnt and he said "only that it would now automatically look for an external GPS source instead of having to configure it manually in 4.1" He and I both agreed that the GTN650 AMOC does not specify V5 but recommended that I install it when available. In the meantime he agreed that I was "good to go" with V4.1 for FAA approval.
Nobody at Navworx or Dallas Avionics are aware of the text in the AMOC application for the 650/750.

Since I wrote two of the AMOCs, I can share with you a portion of the text used in the AMOC application.

The Navworx 200-0012 or 200-0013 units running 4.1.0 (or later) of the UAT Console software

This is why the Global AMOC doesn't state version, since it includes the current and future releases by default.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Hi John,
One change that is included that I am looking forward to is the ARINC "heading" output. This will let the GNS430W show traffic target heading, instead of just north pointing lines. The Display 2, if fixed, would be welcome too, and down the road, receiving 1090 will pretty much finish it to the product most of us paid for over a year ago.