Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Why not just have fun?

I think Randy has the absolute right attitude towards the RV-12! To me it seems the 12 is an airplane that will fly for 2-3 hours and still have a comfortable amount of fuel left. Yes, it's nice to flight plan for a destination, but with a fun airplane like the 12 it's OK to just "look out the window and see where we are" in 2-3 hours. It's the way I flew the Kitfoxes all the time on trips, and sometimes you get to land at an airport that you hadn't even thought of and end up meeting some of the nicest people. We did just that on the trip to the Expo, on both legs landing at airports just a little farther down the skyway than I had planned when we departed, due primarily to winds not being exactly as forecast. I don't push the fuel to stretch the leg as I still land with an hour of fuel remaining.

I like making the last leg of a trip the shortest leg, especially when landing at a potentially busy airport with an event. So I will push for a longer leg on the first part rather than split the trip into 2 equal parts. I find it more relaxing to arrive at a busy place while somewhat rested, hopefully thinking more clearly and not making a short-sighted decision in case of a fouled runway.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)