Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWaffles View Post
Thanks again for the idea. I was able to find an identical model on Craigslist for only $250. It was used for one season. A little iron square tube and rod, a trip to the local brake shop for some welding, black spray paint and some handles from the local hardware store and voila.

Good job Mark,,,,and at 1/2 what mine cost me!

RV-9A: Under Construction
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2017
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
A friend at work made this. Works really well, but probably a little tougher to build than some of the others.

Now that thing is cool. But it'd take me about 5 minutes with it to put a wing into someplace it shouldn't be.
RVators: Titanium Bolts, Screws, Nuts, and Washers at www.tiwings.com - a veteran-owned small business. PM me for any hardware needs!
VAF Advertiser
2014 Dues Paid - Active Duty, Paid Anyway. Thanks for the services!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:06 PM

There was a commercially available towbarless unit similar to what Jesse displayed there on display at Sun -n- Fun. It was very small and slid under the front wheel and operated by remote control. I believe it had a track system like a tank for positive movement. Not sure the price but it was very cool.

RV6 built, flown, and sold
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor
EAA Flight Advisor, CFII
Air Traffic Controller
Old 09-11-2017, 05:53 AM

Holy rusty and dusty threads, Batman.

Craig,

It is a company called AC Air Technology in California. I have been following their products for 3 years and finally ordered one at OSH 2017. They are a bit pricey but after spending an hour talking to the company owner Anthony and delving into the details I could see the value based on comprehensive engineering and first rate workmanship, materials, electronics and materials all combined into a quality and robust product.

I could resist no longer and sprung for one of my own at their display tent. There is no denying that the energy and rarefied air of OSH was a contributing factor. Anthony and his daughter Jennifer were extremely nice and accommodating and have provided super responsive customer service. This isn't their only gig. Anthony is an engineer and successful entrepreneur and a multiple aicraft owner including experimental sport aircraft, warbirds and turbine helicopters. Even a Baby Lakes biplane. He designed the first AC TrackTech after becoming weary of ground maneuvering his Mooney in and out of its hangar and he couldn't find an existing product on the market that met his needs. So AC Air has the backing of Anthony's larger manufacturing enterprises and business savvy. That history and their customer support combined with talking to existing customers gave me the confidence I was buying the tug from a solid professional company. Usually things like this come down to the people involved as much as anything else and these are the type of folks I like hanging out with at airports and fly-ins. They could easily be assimilated into the T-Hangar Mafia.

When I got home from OSH I decided I wanted to change some details on my TrackTech order so I emailed Jennifer. Even though her and Anthony were on the road traveling home from OSH at the time they both emailed me back within an hour. They had already contacted the factory back in CA and cheerfully sent me verification of the order change. All before they got back to the office.

Mine should be delivered in a few weeks. I move a mix of tailwheel and nose draggers of varying sizes and weights in both in T-Hangars and within a maintenance shop so I chose the next size larger than the base model with provisions for Diamonds and Cirrus's. This could be a real time and hangar rash saver. In my estimation the less time spent with a Cirrus owner the better.

I realize this post might come across as an advertisement but I am just one of their many customers buying their product at the same price as any other customer. I feel I did appropriate due diligence prior to purchasing. That being said I will update this thread after delivery and use of my TrackTech. I can be just as critical as complimentary of the performance of products I buy and have low tolerance for regrets. Hence my penchant for homework prior to any sizeable purchase.

https://www.acairtechnology.com/home.aspx

Jim

Last edited by jliltd : 09-13-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 AM

So it's totally not RV related, but I have had some experience with the Tug mentioned by Craig. Friend of mine (friend of a friend) has one for his TBM. Got a chance to use the thing to move the TBM out of the hanger and this is a very well designed and powered device. It seems like an expensive toy, but it's honestly easy to handle and allows you to move around to make sure you DON'T bang into anything since it's totally remote controlled.

If you can swing it, it seems like a very useful device!
RV10 - #41778
Empennage - Done (for now)
Wings - on-order
RV10builder.com
Old 09-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
They are a bit pricey.....
That is a true understatement. It's neat looking but you could buy 2 traditional aircraft tugs for the price of this or 8 snowblowers. I've been known to splurge on aircraft ****, but yikes.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 09-11-2017, 04:34 PM

Wow - you guys have just done me a HUGE favor!

My wife thinks my recent purchase of a Kubota 4wd hydrostatic transmission tractor is a bit of overkill for moving our airplane. Now I get to show her what a great bargain it is!

(I should mention this tractor will also be used for snow blowing duty in the winter and grass mowing duty in the summer. Plus it likely will haul one or two poor souls out of the ditch after they have discovered how slippery the first snowfall of the season can be. This makes my little Kubota a Swiss Army Knife kind of airplane tug! LoL)

Last edited by Canadian_JOY : 09-11-2017 at 04:36 PM.