VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-03-2017, 03:33 PM

Default 2014 RV 7 Value

I have two planes and thinking of selling my RV7. I am the third owner and it is in excellent condition. I bought it from a Fed EX pilot who was not using it enough to keep it. I have a Husky I fly most of the time. Just wondering what the market is like and trying to figure out what its worth before I list it. It has the following:
White and Blue AWESOME paint quality
325 total hrs I bought it with 180 two years ago
Penn Yan Aero 215 hp with piston squirters and 10 to 1 compression
Constant Speed Prop
Fuel injected
Larger oil cooler installed by my mechanic
Sam James Plenum
4 Probe EGT
Standdard 6 pack with all the other Vans Gauges
Auto Pilot with altitude hold
JPI fuel flow meter
Garmin Transponder not ADS B compliant
430 Garmin WAAS
Nice custom leather interior
Not a glass panel
Excellent build by two A&P mechanics professional paint
Avionics professionally installed by an Avionic Shop
Non Slider Canopy
Zero issues and like new just finished annual
E Mag P Mag ignition
Old 09-03-2017, 06:18 PM

Default RV7 Value

I'll jump in with my two cents worth. I'm no expert, just a 7A owner who watches what lists on this website. I would guess...ballpark...$78-85K....

The engine sounds great for those that want to go fast, and a constant speed prop seems to be very desirable (although hub issues with a Lancair I had really drive home the advantages of a simple fixed pitch prop), but the lack of glass on the panel keeps the price down a bit. You'd probably be looking at $90+ with glass.

Also, from my perspective, while the 7 might be more versatile and arguably a couple knots faster, the 7A is easier to sell because of transition costs for a taildragger and added insurance costs. Last, I had a 6A with slider and a my 7A is nonslider. I like them both. About the only difference is ground taxi ops with a slider are nice for fresh air. Seems like a lot of folks like sliders.

This is based on a lot of asking prices, but I have no idea what they actually sell for...everything is negotiable.

GLWS.
Matt McManus
Old 09-03-2017, 07:16 PM

I'd say you're on the upper end of the 85-90 market as you have all the necessary goodies except glass. You've got an AP, engine monitor, 430W, and a monster motor!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:43 PM

Helped a friend by one this year, difference was fixed pitch and no 430. Everything else and hours were similar. Purchased for 65k. Constant speed plus a 430w would probably have taken it up to around 80k.
Eagles Nest Mentor
Old 09-03-2017, 08:01 PM

The one unknown is the quality of construction. I'd say a low of $75K to maybe $90K. For me, the compression boosted that high is a turn off, but for others it may be a bonus. I too would want glass.

-Marc
Old 09-11-2017, 08:48 AM

Default You left out one important bit of info-

I'm looking for a 7A, but If I were considering your RV, my first questions would be "how much does it weigh? Is the W&B in the POH accurate and valid, or was it done prior to paint, upholstry, or other significant equipment additions?"

If you could not answer the above, I would require an ammended W&B done on certified scales by qualified individuals before I'd be willing to make an offer, and the weight could affect my offer by plus or minus $10K, or scratch the deal completely if excessive.

Just a thought- from someone who has accurately weighed hundreds of homebuilts and seen a WORLD of variability there. Good luck on your sale!

Otis Holt
Former CAFE Foundation Director
Test Pilot/Author, RV-8A CAFE APR
2017 donation!