- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2017, 03:59 AM

Thanks Steve...

Another question...

I fly around the Canadian US Border and I've noticed I can't keep both the Canadian and US VFR charts loaded in the unit at the same time, am I missing a setting or something..

M
Old 09-03-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticist View Post
Thanks Steve...

Another question...

I fly around the Canadian US Border and I've noticed I can't keep both the Canadian and US VFR charts loaded in the unit at the same time, am I missing a setting or something..

M
Hello Michael,

The Aera 660 holds one set of IFR/VFR Charts at a time, and since the U.S. and Canadian charts are separate sets, you must load one or the other.

The Navigation Data, Obstacles, FliteCharts, and SafeTaxi databases in your North America Database Bundle cover both the U.S. and Canada, so you are covered with those databases regardless of which country you are flying in.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM

This fantastic support. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Here in Victoria, BC, we are significantly south of the 49th, and most of my flights end up going through US airspace. So while I elected to keep the Canadian data, it would be a great improvement if we could have both.

Given the population is the most dense in Canada close to the US borders, I would expect that a significant portion of Canadian pilots would frequently want to reference the US data.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Here in Victoria, BC, we are significantly south of the 49th, and most of my flights end up going through US airspace. So while I elected to keep the Canadian data, it would be a great improvement if we could have both.

Given the population is the most dense in Canada close to the US borders, I would expect that a significant portion of Canadian pilots would frequently want to reference the US data.
it would be great, if somehow, both could be loaded. Great trips from Vancouver go straight down the coast of USA.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Hi Steve,
a few things:

1. Arrgh. Ive been updating the database using the flygarmin beta for mac, but the IFR/VFR database keeps getting corrupt. Im going to try it on a PC machine. I've tried a number of times.

2. I had a cockpit "incident" over the weekend and my radios are fried. So, now is my chance to be smart and get ready for ADS B in a simple way. Im in canada so it will be a slow process. But here are my thoughts as I replace the radio:

a) GTR 225 (i read it can talk to the 660 and populate stand by frequencies, how do I get it to talk to the 660?)

b) I'm going to add a GDL 52 for ADS-B and SiriusXM weather-in. We can get the XM weather in Canada using a US account.

c) Before 2020 there may be other options open, but I could perhaps buy a GDL 82 for GPS/ADS-B out.

Would this set-up all talk to the 660? Or is throwing in a GTX 335/345 transponder the only real option i have.

Michael
Old 09-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Steve,
a few things:
Michael
Hello Michael,

Quote:
1. Arrgh. Ive been updating the database using the flygarmin beta for mac, but the IFR/VFR database keeps getting corrupt. Im going to try it on a PC machine. I've tried a number of times.
Have you tried using WiFi to download databases and software? I haven't used anything but WiFi for the last year and never have any problems.

Quote:
2. I had a cockpit "incident" over the weekend and my radios are fried. So, now is my chance to be smart and get ready for ADS B in a simple way. Im in canada so it will be a slow process. But here are my thoughts as I replace the radio:

a) GTR 225 (i read it can talk to the 660 and populate stand by frequencies, how do I get it to talk to the 660?)

b) I'm going to add a GDL 52 for ADS-B and SiriusXM weather-in. We can get the XM weather in Canada using a US account.

c) Before 2020 there may be other options open, but I could perhaps buy a GDL 82 for GPS/ADS-B out.

Would this set-up all talk to the 660? Or is throwing in a GTX 335/345 transponder the only real option i have.
Yes, the GTR 225 will receive frequencies from the Aera 660. Look on page 145 of the Rev. B Aera 660 Pilot Guide for information on wiring and configuring the output to provide this data to several models of VHF radios.

If you are equipping an EAB aircraft, we also recommend you consider the GTR 200 COM radio which integrates nicely with the Aera 660.

The GDL 52/52R is an excellent choice for ADS-B traffic/weather and SXM weather/music. If you want ADS-B traffic and SXM weather/music, this is the best option for the Aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Michael,

Have you tried using WiFi to download databases and software? I haven't used anything but WiFi for the last year and never have any problems.

Yes, the GTR 225 will receive frequencies from the Aera 660. Look on page 145 of the Rev. B Aera 660 Pilot Guide for information on wiring and configuring the output to provide this data to several models of VHF radios.

If you are equipping an EAB aircraft, we also recommend you consider the GTR 200 COM radio which integrates nicely with the Aera 660.

The GDL 52/52R is an excellent choice for ADS-B traffic/weather and SXM weather/music. If you want ADS-B traffic and SXM weather/music, this is the best option for the Aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,
I have a lowly 172M in Canada, not EAB, so I think i have to have the 225 installed and certified or something by an AME (in Canada that's certified (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) or authorized by Garmin shop or along those lines.

I guess to be compliant in 2020, I can simply pop in the GDL 82.

Question, why is the GDL 52 Portable not available in Canada until December, but I can order in through the US (just saying). And the GDL 52R is available currently. I might order the portable to a border town. Also, i know of someone that is having issues with the GDL51 in Canada with the XM weather. And I saw this post, here: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=152769, so, i'll be sure to sign up with a US account.

Any other suggestions, i'm open.

The direct download worked only after I had connected the unit to the computer to update it, for some reason. I am up to date for another 3 weeks!

Thanks again, Steve, fantastic support here!

m

Last edited by geneticist : 09-17-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Hi Steve,
a few things:

Michael
Hi Michael,

As Steve pointed out the GTR200 (if you can use it) and the Aera 660 pair nicely with each other. That's what I have in my plane and I LOVE it. It makes things a lot easier with them talking to each other.

The 225 you mention has a built in database and that is yet another device you'll have to update, Arrgh for you MAC users. The GTR-200 utilizes the database in the Aera 660 so I only have to update the 660 via wifi and it shares that data with the GTR-200. Easy Peasy.

The wiring is very easy with the manual. I installed the GTR-200 in just a few hours by myself and that included all new intercom cables for my headsets. The built in intercom in the GTR-200 is also AWESOME. I was able to pull my PM3000 out.

As for ADS-B, I'm using the GDL-39 3D for traffic and weather IN (dont need XM) and will be adding the GDL-82 later this year when it's available for ADS-B OUT to comply with our 2020 mandate. My home airport is inside the Tampa Mode C veil so I have no choice. Plus seeing "all the traffic" is better than using the GDL-39 by itself.

Shawn

Last edited by Shawn25854 : 09-19-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:30 AM

Unhappy A couple disappointments

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Michael,

The Aera 660 holds one set of IFR/VFR Charts at a time, and since the U.S. and Canadian charts are separate sets, you must load one or the other.

The Navigation Data, Obstacles, FliteCharts, and SafeTaxi databases in your North America Database Bundle cover both the U.S. and Canada, so you are covered with those databases regardless of which country you are flying in.

Thanks,
Steve
I tried out my new Garmin 660 and had a couple disappointments comparing with my trusty Garmin 496. As others have said with the 660 you have to choose between Canada or the US. I live in Victoria BC so that is a real inconvienence! At my home airport we are constantly transiting US airspace so this isn't great! With my 496, for years I had all the info US and Canada together in one download. In recent years 496 users have to choose between continental US or Canada including the Northern 2 or 3 US States (Washington and Oregon on the west coast). Why wouldn't Garmin do this with the 660? I would expect that Garmin would put enough memory in the 660 to again include US and Canada in one download; or at a minimum have the Northern most US states included with Canada as my 496 does.

Lastly while taxing I noticed that there is no Safetaxi while in Canada. I have Safetaxi selected and the US airports Safetaxi details appear but nothing at CYYJ or CYVR... again something that works on my 496. Did I misunderstand Steve that that feature should work everywhere, all the time, not only when Canada Charts are selected?

It would be great if Garmin could rectify these issues with a software update. As others have said this current set up isn't great for a lot of users who live on the Canada/US border. The 660 could be an even nicer, more useful GPS if Garmin updated the software

Jeremy

Last edited by Jermechanic : 10-02-2017 at 12:33 AM.