VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-10-2017, 05:06 AM

Default Simply, factually, proven, not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollF4 View Post
Michael,
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand the question. If you're concerned about an EarthX bursting into flames like other lesser lithiums we've seen in the news, be advised that this Lithium IRON PHOSPHATE battery has a different chemistry than those other batteries, and is not susceptible to such thermal runaway.
Sid, Yes the LiFePh is different, and that the thermal event temperature peak is lower than most other Li chemistries, but it does exist. EarthX has clearly put a lot if investment and technology into mitigating the contributing factors to such an event, but lets not get carried away and say it is gone. It is fenced in, but not gone. It must be considered in the installation. If it is located in the cabin, vapor containment and venting is in order as it may get hot enough to smoke the plastic container.

Oversimplified, a thermal event is triggered by a combination of internal energy and temperature. They are not totally immune to the charging voltage and AC content, yet. We have to do our part mitigating the possibility with the installation.

Performance wise - it is a far superior energy storage unit. Still some failure mode refinement to be accepted and executed.

99% at the hangar now

Last edited by BillL : 09-10-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Got it, Bill.
I should have written "not AS susceptible..."

I still really do like the battery.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
Northwest Regional, Roanoke TX (52F...home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePO.
Wrap by AircraftWraps.Com. Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2017 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 09-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Default EarthX battery

I, too, am happy so far with my EarthX replacement for my 680 in my RV7. Recommendations for hooking the error code wire to my Skyview? Still need to do that...