VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-08-2017, 07:18 PM

Default keep it simple....

I have chimed in before on these "fuel flow testing" threads and I truly worry about testing pieces of equipment to collect too much data. Analysis-Paralysis. There are high pressure and low pressure sides of any fuel system. Presumably, we all filled our tanks and let the plane sit, then checked the low pressure side to selector valve and fuel pump entrance. check...no blue stains.......your done with the low pressure side. Turn on pump with fuel mixture at full cutoff (assuming you checked that you installed mixture cables correctly), any leaks, fuel pressure at 28 psi or so? Well then you did great and your joints to throttle body are good and your pump produces published pressure needed to keep you in the air. I STOP HERE. If you think the pump can produce 28 psig and not deliver enough fuel, then take off the line at the fuel divider, run it for 10 min and measure out ~3+ gal of fuel, or even better?, take apart your fuel injector lines, measure it separately, be a person of great detail and intrigue.....measure each cylinder to the milligram level....and it goes on... I personally get up in the air and check the electric fuel pump (EVERY FLIGHT!), if at full throttle, it can push up the pressure when at full throttle and full rich, it can more than keep me up in the air and replace that very reliable mechanical pump...simple test that can be noted and run many many take-offs down the airway..happy flying!
RV10 slow build & flying & loving it
Old 09-08-2017, 10:42 PM

Smile

A simple, documented flow test at more than the expected climb angle is required for the "Phase I Second Pilot Option" whether it paralyses your analysis or not...
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ