Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Default PAINT DATA POINT

For those thinking about what brand of paint to use on their RV, Iíll give you a data point to consider.

The pictures below show my exterior paint after todayís flight through rain. Paint is 12 years old:
- water still beads
- never been waxed
- always hangared except for 10 Oshkosh visits and a few other trips.

Paint is Sherwin Williams AcryGlo. Yes, I have the usual hangar rash and paint does get thinner with age, but overall still looks good and garners compliments. Iíve been pleased with it. Hopes this helps.

Chris

Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Northwest Regional, TX)
Old 06-05-2017, 06:10 PM

Just started test shooting my S-W Skyscapes GA today. Usual novice issues... but looks to be a good product. Hoping my air circulation will be able to handle the output of the spray gun. Got pretty intense in the small booth this afternoon; have to pace myself.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
Dues paid for 2017... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatflieg View Post
Just started test shooting my S-W Skyscapes GA today. Usual novice issues... but looks to be a good product. Hoping my air circulation will be able to handle the output of the spray gun. Got pretty intense in the small booth this afternoon; have to pace myself.
Martin-

If you wouldn't mind, which specific products (primer, base, clear, etc.) and quantities did you order for the paint project? And where did you get them?

r/
Ivan Luke
In the finish kit phase
2017 dues paid
Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 PM

because there is something artistic in this, random dots. or I have nothing better to do.

Simplicity is the art in design.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 09-14-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluke View Post
Martin-

If you wouldn't mind, which specific products (primer, base, clear, etc.) and quantities did you order for the paint project? And where did you get them?

r/
Ivan Luke
Sorry about the late reply. I ordered a LOT of stuff; if you want stock numbers and quantities, send me a PM and I'll send you a copy of my order sheet from Blend Supply. Ask for Ryan Wilcox; tell him I sent you; great service. We'll start with solvents: cleaning, wiping, blending and MEK. Wash primer & reducer; urethane primer, reducer and hardener; Skyscapes GA basecoats in five colors (small cans for sampling), reducer and hardener; Skyscapes GA clearcoat, reducer and hardener, lusterless military coatings in two colors, color and catalyst. Each type of coating has its own specific reducer and hardener (if required); no substitutions for reducers and hardeners. S-W gives specific instructions for ratios and matching components. It's a lot of info to sort through, but once you get the procedure down, it's pretty straightforward. Check out my blogspot blog for details on my painting exerience; see my link below and click on the July 2017 entry. My large booth worked much better than expected, and since then I've figured out ways to improve my small booth.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
Dues paid for 2017... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?

Last edited by goatflieg : 09-15-2017 at 06:53 AM.