VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 AM

Default RV6 Electric Flap Motor

My RV6 flap system was manufactured in the early 2000's. Since 09 when it was licensed I get about 3 doz cycles before the motor quits. Yes, we land with no flaps, adds a little excitement. Take the motor apart, clean the brushes and commutator and it is good for another 3 doz cycles. Does anyone have a fix for this other than replace the motor. The original manufacture of the motor does not support this model anymore and only wants to sell me a new motor.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8317R View Post
My RV6 flap system was manufactured in the early 2000's. Since 09 when it was licensed I get about 3 doz cycles before the motor quits. Yes, we land with no flaps, adds a little excitement. Take the motor apart, clean the brushes and commutator and it is good for another 3 doz cycles. Does anyone have a fix for this other than replace the motor. The original manufacture of the motor does not support this model anymore and only wants to sell me a new motor.
There was a time when the flap motor assembly was manufactured with too much grease. That grease migrates and fouls the motor. Removing the excess grease usually fixes this issue.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Thumbs up Get a new one

Mine did that a number of time, I took it apart and cleaned it a number of times, then I ordered a new one. It came full of grease. I cleaned it real good before installing it and it has worked great ever since.

No matter how good I cleaned the first one it keep doing it.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2016 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 09-06-2017, 10:56 PM

My flap motor was shipped in '00. Based upon all of the comments here, I fully disassembled the gear section of the unit and cleaned it. I left only what I felt was an appropriate amount of grease (far less than the guy/gal at the factory felt was appropriate). 400 hours without a problem.

When you cleaned the motor, did it have signs of grease? If so, take apart the gear section and remove all of the excess as well as degreasing the entire motor and it's housing.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 09-06-2017 at 10:59 PM.