- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysailor View Post
Just remember to mount the tires with the red dot next to the stem. The factory did the balance on manufacture. The red dot is the light spot so the valve stem goes adjacent to that. I have never balanced a tire beyond that and never had one that was anything but smooth.
Kinda -- what they did was determine the heavy side of the tire. Just lining up your tube's valve stem, supposedly the heavy side of the tube, does not necessarily "balance" the entire wheel assembly. Sometimes it does, sometime it doesn't -- there's no guarantee.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:16 PM

Default Well, we went ahead and balanced them

We went out and bought a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire balancer (thanks for the lead, 9GT) and balanced the wheels today. So glad I did. The right wheel needed seven 1/4 ounce weights, and the left wheel needed a whopping 13. The nose wheel needed only two.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 PM

In the last 20-years and 3,300 hours flying my RV-6, I have NEVER balance the wheels or tires. I have used retread tires the for more than the last 10-years.

Do not waste your time or money on balancing the tires / wheels. Fly the airplane. IF there is a wheel / tire balance issue that needs balancing, you can then start thinking about balancing.

This is not the first time I have heard someone talk about balancing but is the first time I have seen more than one person say they think it is necessary.
3,300+ hours
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinMichigan View Post
We went out and bought a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire balancer (thanks for the lead, 9GT) and balanced the wheels today. So glad I did. The right wheel needed seven 1/4 ounce weights, and the left wheel needed a whopping 13. The nose wheel needed only two.
Another way I've used on a Long EZ that doesn't require a balancer is to run a tub or sink full of water and float the tire. You would be amazed at how accurate of balance you can get be adding weights to the rim till it floats perfectly level in the water.

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis
RV-8 N88XT Flying
RV-10 QB in Progress
Helicopter Instructor Pilot
Standardization I.P.
Instrument Examiner
U.S. Army Retired
EMS Pilot for LifeLine
At IU Health
Fee Exempt, but Dues Paid for 2016