VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-22-2017, 07:55 PM

Default RV-12 S-LSA w/GPH R/O G3X

My buddy is renting RV-12 S-LSA that is equipped with Garmin G3X that has GPH and fuel totalizer...I didn't know this was available on the G3X???

Anybody else know anything or have seen this????
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 09-05-2017, 09:31 AM

you can turn it on - as the red fuel flow cube is connected to the G3x. the problem is that because of the return flow of fuel that isn't metered you are never going to get accurate readings (although you could rough estimate for cross country flights based on data gathered).

I was considering adding a fuel flow cube on the return line, but I really don't want to mess in any way with my fuel system even if it is the return line - want to keep it simple.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azjulian View Post
you can turn it on - as the red fuel flow cube is connected to the G3x. the problem is that because of the return flow of fuel that isn't metered you are never going to get accurate readings (although you could rough estimate for cross country flights based on data gathered).

I was considering adding a fuel flow cube on the return line, but I really don't want to mess in any way with my fuel system even if it is the return line - want to keep it simple.
You can actually adjust it for very accurate readings, but at only one specific flight condition (such as continuous cruise), just like Skyview/HDX RV-12's do.
If the airplane spends a lot of time flying in different flight conditions (such as doing touch&goes), it will have some error but always in the conservative direction.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
You can actually adjust it for very accurate readings, but at only one specific flight condition (such as continuous cruise), just like Skyview/HDX RV-12's do.
If the airplane spends a lot of time flying in different flight conditions (such as doing touch&goes), it will have some error but always in the conservative direction.
Scott...is there any info as to what k factor to use...or is it the same as for Dynon? (Would guess some playing with #'s is required).
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 09-05-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom30 View Post
Scott...is there any info as to what k factor to use...or is it the same as for Dynon? (Would guess some playing with #'s is required).
Nothing is published because they are always slightly different from one RV-12 to another.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Is there any reason not to install a second red cube (on the return line) so completely accurate fuel calculations in all conditions can be seen?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:44 AM

The fuel flow and gas gage are nice, but my primary method in every aircraft has always been fuel burn and time. If you use the same cruise settings you can get within a few tenths of a gallon. It's always been satisfying to do the mental math and have it confirmed by the gas pump totalizer at the FBO. If you don't cut your margins razor thin the Gage's are just a sanity check on your math.