VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 AM

390 engines have piston oil jets, right? If so, the high break in temps the piston sees is contributing to the oil temp. I'd expect things to settle down with more time on the engine. I've just added the cooling jets to my Rocket's 540 and anticipate some significantly higher temps on the first few flights.

Dan's point is worthy of repeating though. As often as these "poor cooling" threads pop up, the basics are often overlooked during the build process. Baffles need some special attention if you want the engine to cool effectively. And this includes the intercylinder baffles that are included with the engine. I've yet to run across factory installed intercylinder baffles that couldn't use some tightening up.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 01-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll just pay close attention not to exceed critical temps for now and reassess after I have a few hours on the plane.
Thanks again.
RV-14 #140181
Flying 5th January 2017
50+hours now
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Hi Graham good to see you are flying. Did first engine start last Thursday. Working on the dreaded canopy. There are a few parts of this build that are challenging. Isn't this a great forum.
Done first engine start.Canopy sikaflexed.
Canopy fibreglass
IO 320 D1A
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Talking oil temps

Hi Graham
Just started flying XP400 with EFII ignition and fuel
With only 9 hours on the engine and mineral oil,
I'm seeing from about 189 to 203 but its winter here temps have been 25-45
but that doesn't seem to be the driving factor at this point.
I'm guessing i'm running into the Vernatherm cycling at this point.
I agree with the previous comments. fly the engine and give it a chance to break in, your temps are fine where they are at, but I too have a similar concern. Will continue to watch them. in the mean time what a flying machine
Old 02-01-2017, 01:43 PM

Hi Cliff, yes I do love this plane. Unfortunately we have had three weeks of weather consistently 100-110 degrees. If I'm careful I can keep the oil temps in the safe range under these extreme conditions so it should only improve from here. As much as I love flying my 14 it's not much fun when it 110 degrees outside
RV-14 #140181
Flying 5th January 2017
50+hours now
Old 09-04-2017, 12:01 AM

Default RV-14 and IO-390 in hot climates

Hi Guys
We get to 43deg C here in our Perth summers (Western Australia), I am hoping to be ready for first flight soon but summer is on its way so I read this thread and started to worry.
From what I read in this very interesting thread it seems that oil temps can get a little high with the IO-390 in the RV-14, but the comments here then go on to say that temps should be ok with stock setup.
Has anyone measured temps before any modifications and and then changed the stock oil cooler, modified baffles or fitted cowl flaps to their RV-14/IO-390 combination? And if so can they please share their experience and some temp data from this (please)?
Anti Splat do a cool electric cowl flap but id rather not fit cowl flaps unless its needed. For us now would be a good time to fit cowl flaps in the project build as next is painting. So some temp data for RV-14/IO-390 combo would be great please?

Has anyone tweaked their stock IO-390 baffles and improved temps that way, and can they please post some baffle tweaking tips?

Dave
S/N 140126
Old 09-04-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky005 View Post
Hi Guys
We get to 43deg C here in our Perth summers (Western Australia), I am hoping to be ready for first flight soon but summer is on its way so I read this thread and started to worry.
From what I read in this very interesting thread it seems that oil temps can get a little high with the IO-390 in the RV-14, but the comments here then go on to say that temps should be ok with stock setup.
Has anyone measured temps before any modifications and and then changed the stock oil cooler, modified baffles or fitted cowl flaps to their RV-14/IO-390 combination? And if so can they please share their experience and some temp data from this (please)?
Anti Splat do a cool electric cowl flap but id rather not fit cowl flaps unless its needed. For us now would be a good time to fit cowl flaps in the project build as next is painting. So some temp data for RV-14/IO-390 combo would be great please?

Has anyone tweaked their stock IO-390 baffles and improved temps that way, and can they please post some baffle tweaking tips?

Dave
S/N 140126
Making mods before evening flying, or fully breaking in your engine is a waste of effort and cash.
As far as I am aware, RV-14's have been doing well with the standard baffle and cowl configuration in regards to temps.
The prototypes were both tested in temps just a couple degrees shy of 100F with a gross weight (at take-off) climb at Vy from 200 ft MSL to 10,000 on a standard temp laps rate day, without stopping. The CHT's topped out right around 400 and the oil temp topped out in the high 220's and then reversed in a downward trend midway through the climb (totally acceptable in those conditions for short duration flight).
Keep in mind this was at Vy (best rate) for the entire climb. Cruise climb at 120-130 Kts (makes sense in most situations since the ROC is reduced only slightly) and the temps will be noticeably lower.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 PM

I agree with Scott. Fly it first, then see what you have. I can say that my CHT's and oil temps on the RV-14 with the IO-390 are exactly what I would want. They really just never get too hot. I only wish that my IO-540 in the other plane was as perfect as this IO-390 is. That one the CHT's are great but I have to take care on oil temps during climb or on very hot days.

Fly it first, then worry later.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 AM

Smile RVator OZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen1313 View Post
I finally have my RV-14 in the air. Aside from the excitement of the moment and the realisation of just how well it flew from the start I was paying close attention to temps. CHT's are great, nothing over 195C (385F) on climb and it is fairly hot here at the moment 35C (95F).
Oil temp on the other hand is higher than I would like. Regularly seeing 90C (195F) and up to 110C (230F). Anyone having similar experiences or any ideas?
My I suggest installing EZ Cool Cowl Flaps from Anti Splat Aero which should increase the Plenum differential and move more air quicker over the Cylinder Heads and produce extra cooling. Iam fitting two cowl flaps to the underside of our cowl. Only use taxiing and for continuous climbs say to TOC 7000 ft at Vx or VY. They only weigh approx 7 ozs and are electrically operated. You can connect them together or use independently.