VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-31-2017, 09:27 AM

A couple things:
- For The nose fork wheel pant "upgrade" part number isn't available through the Van's web store, but if you call them, it's $20 and is essentially a couple new brackets and hardware.

- The dye penetrant kit will last for many uses, so don't get sticker shock at the initial price. I have a kit over 5 years old and still going; I believe the shelf life was something like 10 years.

- I agree that it's unreasonable to expect "all my landings are greasers". Thanks for posting photos of your cracks. I haven't flown mine yet, but based on this, I'm going to plan to swap out the fork at my first annual. I agree with others that the cost of ~$350 for both the fork and pant hardware is a good insurance policy.

- RV-12 N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finally on the finishing kit, so, something like 90% done and 90% left to go.
- 1975 B58 Baron, N1975G (a bottomless money pit that makes building an RV look like lunch money, but it's a great airplane, hauls the family and my wife likes two engines...go figure)
- 1961 A33 Debonair, N433JC (R.I.P.)
- RV7A; didn't finish it and donated to kid's club
- Zenith CH601XL; flying somewhere in Louisiana https://youtu.be/wa_Y_A_rP_8
Old 08-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
This one happened with about 700 hours...
I noticed that the aluminum "grain" on that fork is vertical. Isn't aluminum supposed to be bent at 90 degrees to the grain? But what do I know, I'm a fiberglass guy
Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 AM

If you're going down the die pen road I would recommend removing any paint on the fork.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:12 PM

Does anyone have a photo of the beefed up replacement nose fork?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:48 PM

Default Picture

Here are the two upgrade kits. The blue bracket parts on the right are the wheel fairing kit needed to adapt the nose wheel fairing to the new fork.

This fork is one beefy hunk of metal alright. Some have said it is ugly, but it looks good to me; I like it. It will be inside the fairing anyway most of the time.

I notice that the design of the axle has been changed so the axle bolt can now be torque tightened without danger of over-tightening the pressure on the wheel bearings. The wheel is kept centered in the fork by 2 wavy washers on each side. Nice change.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 09-02-2017, 07:57 PM

Tony

Is the adapter kit for the fairing non - intrusive as to not disrupt a painted plane/fairing ?

RV-12 #328
At 260 Hrs on the Hobbs

http://unicom12.blogspot.com/
Click on above for build site
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 PM

Tony, thanks for the quick reply and photo. That doesn't look so bad to me. I think I could live with it. Didn't know what to expect with the earlier negative comments. Mine is fine so far but I may just go ahead and replace it anyway. Why take a chance?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEWIS View Post
Tony

Is the adapter kit for the fairing non - intrusive as to not disrupt a painted plane/fairing ?
Yes, I think that is the case. You have to remove the existing CCR-264SS-3-2 rivets and replace theU-00006A right and left brackets. These rivets are not visible when the rear part of the fairing is installed. See 36A-09, Figure 2.

I haven't completed this yet so that's unverified right now, but it looks easy .
RV-12 #202 -- Flying