Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-25-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelspeedy View Post
It is hard to make very fine mixture adjustments with the three lever quadrant mixture lever. If I was to do it again I would definitely use a vernier cable rather than a lever for mixture.
Cheers Nige
+1 for sure. Prop lever no problem, but the next one will get a vernier mixture.

As for a big throttle handle with switches, build what you want. You'll never regret time spent to hand-craft a part that makes you smile every time you use it.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
...As for a big throttle handle with switches, build what you want. You'll never regret time spent to hand-craft a part that makes you smile every time you use it.
Enthusiasticaly agree. The throttle shown in the earlier link is lightweight, but has a very substantial, "quality" feel to it. Its my opinion that the quality of any significant pilot/vehicle interface point is an important element to the operators overall enjoyment of the flying experience. The time I spent building this throttle was well worth it.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
PA-20-inspired "family truckster" -in work
Old 08-29-2017, 08:04 AM

What length cables did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post

Steve H
Cold Lake, Alberta
RV7A #70015 - C-FZQX - built - sold
RV7A #71629 - C-FSIS - built - sold across Atlantic
RV7 #70215 - C-GOJU - flying - sold
RV7 #70703 - C-GMIY - flying - sold
RV6 #60119 - C-FHBZ - built - Airventure 2016 Bronze Lindy - sold
RV10 #41779 - on hold
RV8 #82842 - building
Old 08-29-2017, 01:07 PM

Another unrelated consideration is serviceability. I've had to replace two cables on my RV-8 so far, and with the 3-lever quadrant it's a real pain to do (there's a lot crammed into a small area). With a single throttle lever and push-pull cables for prop and mixture (as shown in post #9) it be much easier.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:50 AM

Default What you like is what you like.

We have looked at this with a few aircraft we have flown down through the years. I think this is mostly subjective. Personally it came down to two choices for us in the case of our 8. The Van's stock model or the deluxe model.
I found that after taking the stock Van's model all apart, reworking the stops and the friction break that with the longer leavers on that one Vs the deluxe model with the shorter leavers works very well in one hand. It is lighter, cheaper and just as durable. But, again, What you like you should use to your harts content. Just what we did, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 08-31-2017, 08:17 AM

Vernier mixture for sure. If you can build an airplane you can certainly build and then modify, your own two lever quadrant. Or simpler yet another vernier for the prop and a single lever throttle. I have 10 years on my two lever plus vernier mixture and like it better then any of the manufactured ones. I have used the van's unit and a few different aftermarket products but prefer my own. Or maybe it just the personal satisfaction that I prefer!
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com