View Poll Results: EFIS or SIX-PACK
EFIS 120 90.91%
SIX-PACK (digital) 7 5.30%
SIX-PACK (vacuum steam) 5 3.79%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Eves View Post
I am adding an autopilot to my conventional round gauged RV so I am leaning to the trutrak gemini to replace my vacum AI. I like round and do not like the appearance of mixing square and round together. It looks cobbled. Reading this thread I can't help but think about flying vfr in my RV (800hrs) all over the US and Canada. I am looking out the window 99% of the time (looking out for guys with their head down). All the fancy efis stuff is just expensive square junk along for the ride. (unless your IFR and stare at the dash which i can do in the basement on my computer) So six pac for me.
What kind of standby compass do you have, was swinging it difficult?

Last edited by AirHound : 08-25-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:15 AM

Hello Airhound. I thought all GA aircraft had to have a compass? Anyway, not sure what brand I have but it is mounted in panel and not the type that sits on the dash to obstruct your view. I have nothing on my dash to obstruct my forward view. I had it swung at an avionics shop. One guy stood way out in front of the aircraft with some type of gun pointing it at the plane while the other guy made adjustments to the compass. Plane was running and he would move to different locations on the ramp while we realigned the plane with him. Since then I have simply checked it on a compass rose at a local airport. Apparently the plane is supposed to be running during this high tech maneuver.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Default Carry backup HH GPS with extra batterys.....

Quote:
Hello Airhound. I thought all GA aircraft had to have a compass? Anyway, not sure what brand I have but it is mounted in panel and not the type that sits on the dash to obstruct your view. I have nothing on my dash to obstruct my forward view. I had it swung at an avionics shop. One guy stood way out in front of the aircraft with some type of gun pointing it at the plane while the other guy made adjustments to the compass. Plane was running and he would move to different locations on the ramp while we realigned the plane with him. Since then I have simply checked it on a compass rose at a local airport. Apparently the plane is supposed to be running during this high tech maneuver.
Howdy!
Post 37 explains requirements and I'm good with it. I'm thinking when we know the engine driven electricity has stopped, for those with EFIS and no standby compass or HH GPS, its best to be on the ground by the time the backup battery craps out too!

Even the most proficient orienteers/pilots can become disoriented/temporarily lost, especially, if flying over unfamiliar/snow covered terrain or maneuvering around clouds etc....
Old 08-28-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Hello Airhound. I thought all GA aircraft had to have a compass?

Apparently the plane is supposed to be running during this high tech maneuver.
In the US the FARs say 'Magnetic direction indicator', and some FSDOs have okayed using an EFIS (with magnetic sensing) to fullfill that rule.

Standard practice when swinging a compass is to have all normal electrical stuff on, as electric currents generate magnetic fields that may 'pull' a compass.

What was the device the tech used? A fancy compass?