- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
Since the 5K resistor is located in the AV5000, it does not really ensure the continuity of the wire all the way to the disconnects switch anyway. It's kind of worthless in our case.
Alex .... Actually, with the 5 K resistor being on the AV50000 module it insures the continuity of all the wires in the disconnect path because the disconnect originates from pin 15 which is the 5K resistor. As long as the AP disconnect wiring is intact, there will be a 5K load presented to the servos on the AP DATA I wire until the disconnect button is pushed .... at which time a solid ground will be on the wire. Should the wiring break, that 5K ohm load presented to the servos will now become an infinite resistance .... it is this change the the "enable broken line detect" should be monitoring. Without the 5K ohm resistor the servos would always see an infinite resistance (until the disconnect button is pushed) and could never detect if a wire was broken.

Here again, I suspect the method and /or hardware used for the broken line detection in the servos is not quite up to snuff.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018

Last edited by John-G : 08-21-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:49 AM

Hi John,

Please explain how the portion of the disconnect circuit between the AV5000 and the switch itself is protected by this arrangement. I guess I just don't get it.

Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through September, 2017
Old 08-21-2017, 09:40 AM

John and Alex are both correct. The circuit is monitored between the resistor and the servos but not between the resistor and the disconnect switch. It would be better if the complete circuit was monitored. Regardless of where the resistor is installed, it is useless because there is a software bug that causes false alarms. The D-180 has the same problem. I disabled the alarm in mine.
Even if the resistor was connected directly across the switch where it should be, the Dynon still could not detect a defective switch.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:23 PM

Add me to the list .... phantom cautions with AP engaged. Waiting for dynon to admit it's a software / firmware problem.

Where in the settings is the disconnect monitor option ?

RV-12 #328
At 260 Hrs on the Hobbs

http://unicom12.blogspot.com/
Click on above for build site
Old 08-22-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEWIS View Post
Where in the settings is the disconnect monitor option ?
Kyle -- To deselect the monitoring of the AP disconnect wire enter the Setup Menu (press buttons 7 & 8 simultaneously) then scroll down and select Autopilot Setup. When in the Autopilot setup menu change "enable broken line detect" from YES to NO.

Alex -- Joe is correct, the better place to have located the 5K ohm resistor would be directly across the switch ... it would have eliminated the need for the Y and the short piece of wire from the Y to the switch that, as Joe pointed out, isn't really being monitored.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018
Old 08-22-2017, 07:14 AM

That was exactly the point I was trying to make to you John.
Alex
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through September, 2017