Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-16-2015, 03:17 PM

Default Supplementary IFR Limitations

Folks,

This is an interesting thread. I concur with the sentiment that establishing personal limits is a critical part of the decision-making apparatus. When I ask a pilot about his crosswind limits in a particular airplane, I always feel more confident when he states a specific number than an ambiguous answer that includes "it depends". Judgement can be malleable. Limits aren't.

I'm in the process of obtaining Canadian approval for IFR in my RV-6. I propose to write the following in my Flight Manual [the rationale is in brackets]:

1. No dispatch with an unserviceable autopilot [I can hand-fly. I have to prove it during every check ride. Still, let's not plan on it.];
2. Takeoffs with below 500 foot ceilings must have a takeoff alternate within 20 minutes [If a contingency arises on takeoff, a 500 foot ceiling is sufficient for a modified circuit and landing. Otherwise, if something bad happens immediately after takeoff, even an approach at the departure airport would require about 20 minutes, so any "landable" airport in the vicinity is sufficient. Even so, no, I don't intend on zero-zero departures!];
3. No flight within 2000 feet of the forecast freezing level or below 2 degrees C in visible moisture [Ice is bad. Very bad.];
4. No night IFR operations [To provide at least some engine failure options];
5. Enroute weather shall not be less than 500 feet and 1 mile [Again, in the interest of preserving engine failure options].

Opinions?

VAF contributor 2016
Old 12-16-2015, 03:49 PM

Out of curiosity, how do you plan on proving/complying with #5?
Think about this. You plan a flight from A to B and there are no Wx reporting stations between.
Just make sure however you write your limits that you can actually do it.
Would hate to see somebody paint themselves into a corner by imposing a limitation that sounds good on paper but in the real world is not workable.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 07-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Default Sometimes light IFR can surprise

Searched for a thread to tag this onto rather than a new one. Kinda' relates to the personal limits discussed here.

Took off IFR from KAVL Asheville in a thin broken dissipating fog this morning. Current and forecast weather at destination KBUY Burlington was VFR. When I was handed over to KGSO Greensboro (about 20 min out) they said expect visual approach which agreed with the automated weather from KBUY. Well... Everybody missed. Flew over KBUY for a look but it was socked in solid below me. I wound up shooting a GPS approach all the way to minimums.

It happens.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page

Last edited by rzbill : 07-17-2017 at 12:10 PM.