What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Custom Flap Torque Tube from McCutcheon

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One thing that we decided early in the RV-3 project was to build it with electric flaps, using the example set by Randy Lervold. While slightly more “complex” than the stock, manual flaps (although it will have fewer actual components), it provides a cleaner cockpit design on the left side (for the throttle quadrant) and won’t require arm strength in our later years. ;)

In looking at how Randy built his, he welded on a tab to attach to the linear actuator, and did away with the “Johnson Bar” that forms the handle for the manual installation. He also mentioned that you could get the little tab “if you asked nicely at Van’s”. Well, about the time I was considering this, I was reminded by a post here on VAF that Van’s weldments are built by Russ McCutcheon in his shop in Washington. I dropped Russ a note to ask if those little tabs were available, and he quickly dropped one in the mail for me, no charge. He also said that if I wanted anything welded up custom, to just let him know.

When the little part arrived, I intended to take it and the torque tube to a local welder friend, but when I got to examining the assembly, I realized that even if I sawed off the Johnson Bar, it would leave a pretty big “knuckle” on the tube – the attachment point is reinforced with a strap. At this point, I dropped Russ a note, asking if he could build me a tube from scratch, simply omitting the handle, and attaching the tab, and he said “sure – I can have it done this week!” Since I have a good friend in town who is also building a -3 and wants electric flaps, I asked for two. The price was great (far less than me learning to weld and buying the equipment), and sure enough, they arrived today, in just about a week. Outstanding service and support form an RV Builder and owner – and the maker of pretty much all of our factory weldments.

Thanks Russ – now I might just have to call you about a roll bar…..:)

IMG_0272.JPG

Paul

Last edited:
Back